Do you like Indonesian movies?

Methblinkz

Thank you Methblinkz. I will try one of these this evening.

(Curious name you have chosen. It seems to suggest getting blind on drinking Metho,)
I gotta warn you though, Iam sometimes pretty easy to be pleased when it comes to movies. I never lost my appetite for "simple" entertainment. Some guys I know really have become movie snobs over the years. My taste is still all over the place from "stupid" movies to art movies and everything in between.😂

But yeah, I think the movies I mentioned are really not that bad.

About my name, actually it has nothing to do with what you said. It is a name I made up with one of my school friends maybe already 25 years ago. Iam a big fan of the Wu Tang Clan. Method Man is one member of the group so that's Meth. Don't ask me about "blinkz" though, I really can't tell you how we came up with this. Anyway, I've been using this name ever since in Forums, Blogs or other internet stuff. 😁

Puspawarna

Cager
I just watched Impetigore, directed by Joko Anwar, because the Asia Society streamed it for free. It had very well done English subtitles, which is a good thing because I only understood about 10 percent of what I was hearing.

It ended up being pretty good, but I'm a little surprised the Asia Society didn't offer a trigger warning. It was really gory in spots, and the opening scene was genuinely terrifying.

I don't know if you can sign up for their showings in Indonesia, but here's a link to "Asia Society at the Movies." Obviously the films are from many locations in Asia, not just Indonesia, but it seems like a good resource.

harryopal

Charter Member
I also hope that some people can help you with that. I watch the movies on Netflix with English subtitles since my Bahasa Indonesia is also not that good. So at least i can follow the story. Some movies that I found pretty clear and with some passable storys recently were:

Aruna & Her Palate
Ave Maryam
Cek Toko Sebelah (also the tv series which gives more shine to the side characters was ok)
3 Heroines
Imperfect
Tabula Rasa
Well, I just watched Ave Maryam which left me a bit puzzled other than reflecting the kind of personal torture of those who choose to live as priests and nuns. Not a lot of dialogue but we will persevere and try some of the other films.

Methblinkz

Well, I just watched Ave Maryam which left me a bit puzzled other than reflecting the kind of personal torture of those who choose to live as priests and nuns. Not a lot of dialogue but we will persevere and try some of the other films.
What a coincidence, actually I wanted to advise you not to watch this one at first.😅

I can assure you it is probably the least entertaining of the ones i mentioned. I threw it in here cause a lot of people really liked it. I mostly liked the look and the camera. Content wise I was a bit disappointed and ultimately asked myself what was the point of telling the story like this. It's not bad just I wasn't really satisfied.

The other ones are more commercial and entertaining I would say.

Methblinkz

I just watched Impetigore, directed by Joko Anwar, because the Asia Society streamed it for free. It had very well done English subtitles, which is a good thing because I only understood about 10 percent of what I was hearing.

It ended up being pretty good, but I'm a little surprised the Asia Society didn't offer a trigger warning. It was really gory in spots, and the opening scene was genuinely terrifying.

I don't know if you can sign up for their showings in Indonesia, but here's a link to "Asia Society at the Movies." Obviously the films are from many locations in Asia, not just Indonesia, but it seems like a good resource.
Thanks for this, another movie to add to my list. I heard from many people that Satan's Slaves by the same director is good too.

Methblinkz

Another movie I would like to recommend is "Love For Sale". Sure it has its sweet parts but is for most of the time really a down to earth movie with good acting and likable characters. Really enjoyed his bittersweet love-drama.

harryopal

Charter Member
Last night I watched Martabak Bangka on Youtube. Not a bad movie even if the ending got drawn out a bit. Spoken word mostly quite clear and with sub titles.

godmachine12

Charter Member
Cager
Overall, I don't; however, there are a few bangers.

The Raid 1 and 2
The Night Comes for Us
Buffalo Boys (techinically Singaporean but the bulk of the film is in Indonesian)

Methblinkz

Overall, I don't; however, there are a few bangers.

The Raid 1 and 2
The Night Comes for Us
Buffalo Boys (techinically Singaporean but the bulk of the film is in Indonesian)
I have yet to see The Night Comes For Us. How did you feel about The Raid 2?
I watched it several times with different people and I feel it is a bit too long overall. Don't get me wrong, the action is awesome. I just feel the story, although it is not bad, isn't really as epic or exciting as the makers probably thought it was.

godmachine12

Charter Member
Cager
I have yet to see The Night Comes For Us. How did you feel about The Raid 2?
I watched it several times with different people and I feel it is a bit too long overall. Don't get me wrong, the action is awesome. I just feel the story, although it is not bad, isn't really as epic or exciting as the makers probably thought it was.

I didn't enjoy The Raid 2 as much as the first, but it's still a decent film.

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
67nature17
Top Bottom