Do you like Indonesian movies?

MamangDudul

Hi everyone,

Iam a big, big movie fan in general and an especially big fan of cinema from all over asia, mainly Japan, Thailand, HK/China, Korea or India
That being said, as long as I still lived in Germany I never came across Indonesian movies. Sure, stuff like The Raid or Macabre (a gory horror flick) gained fame, but overall Indonesian movies weren't really a thing in the west and are still not.

Since Iam living in Indonesia I catch up on a lot of Indonesian movies on Netflix and so far they all have been quite good across all genres. I can't talk about the "famous" Indonesian horror movies since Iam not a big fan of the "scary girl with long black hairs" kind of horror but Iam thinking of trying some.

How do you feel about Indonesian movies and what are your favorites?

"Do you like Indonesian movies?"
Hell no!

It's like having a syrup sandwich in sweetened bread with extra sugar & lousy acting added.
Would you say that about any other asian movies or mainly about Indonesian ones?

For the bad acting, I know everyone has their own eye for that. I realized that the acting in asian movies is often a different kind of acting than western acting.
So far I didn't see any totally bad performances, but maybe Iam used to it or saw the wrong movies.😂

Ps: i don't wanna excuse all acting in Asian movies as being different..some acting is really bad.😂

I liked Laskar Pelangi, Perahu Kertas and a few others, but it's been so long that the names have long since escaped.

I have a backlog of western movies and shows that I know will be good but I haven't gotten around to seeing yet, so whenever I ask an Indonesian for a few reccomendations and get a not-very-enthusiastic response, I don't add those things to the list.

I don't have/watch an actual TV at the moment, but when I did I sometimes noticed dubbing of local shows. I always found the dubbing of Indonesian actors by Indonesian actors to be bizarre and jarring. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm not trying to hate on the local stuff here. I stopped watching TV a while before my Indonesian got good enough to potentially enjoy it, so maybe I just never understood what I was missing.

Not most. I didn't even like the Raid. I did enjoy Marlina the Murder in four acts. It was a little over the top at times, but generally watchable. It made Eastern Indonesian culture a central plot point and the scenery was very well shot. It can be rented from Amazon if not on Netflix.

Not most. I didn't even like the Raid. I did enjoy Marlina the Murder in four acts. It was a little over the top at times, but generally watchable. It made Eastern Indonesian culture a central plot point and the scenery was very well shot. It can be rented from Amazon if not on Netflix.
I already have this one on my list.

Would you say that about any other asian movies or mainly about Indonesian ones?

For the bad acting, I know everyone has their own eye for that. I realized that the acting in asian movies is often a different kind of acting than western acting.
So far I didn't see any totally bad performances, but maybe Iam used to it or saw the wrong movies.😂
Well I do love Jackie Chan movies, but just because he is cute & funny- I don't have him pegged as an oscar winner for his acting :D

Well I do love Jackie Chan movies, but just because he is cute & funny- I don't have him pegged as an oscar winner for his acting :D
Yeah I get what you mean. Iam also no expert on acting or on teaching acting. I only would say, from what I know and observed, many asian actors in general have a very "offensive" way of acting. Don't get me wrong, there are universally excellent actors in every country. Just in general you probably won't find as much subtle or methodical acting as in the west for example. In Hk or China acting is still influenced, or at least was for a long time, by Peking Opera which is also really different from western Opera for example.
Yeah, sometimes what is different might look bad for others, while some things are just bad.😂
Yeah, I can't explain it really good.

I liked Laskar Pelangi, Perahu Kertas and a few others, but it's been so long that the names have long since escaped.

I have a backlog of western movies and shows that I know will be good but I haven't gotten around to seeing yet, so whenever I ask an Indonesian for a few reccomendations and get a not-very-enthusiastic response, I don't add those things to the list.
I also still have tons of movies unwatched. I brought my whole movie collection when we moved to Indonesia, a few thousand DVDs/Blu-rays and a lot I still didn't watch. Iam collecting for almost 22 years now and it would have broken my heart to sell or even throw away that stuff. Since I have also no idea when or if I ever will live in Germany again.

As far i remember, the last time i watched Indonesian movie is more than two decades ago, ie Petualangan Sherina. I did enjoyed watching this movie with my daughters.
Tried to watch view others Indonesian movie but never finish, 5-10 minutes switched off or change to another channel.

I've watched: Gundala, Love All: Susi Susanti, Cek Toko Sebelah. OKB (Orang Kaya Baru) was pretty funny. Love All got me teary eyed. Gundala was okay, certain stuff not original (a bit of copying Kill Bill and other movies here and there), Cek Toko Sebelah is okay too. I'm sure I've watched other ones too but I can't recall at this time...

Trying to gradually become conversational in Bahasa I occasionally try an Indonesian film but often they speak in a colloquial way which is hard to follow, or children with squeaky voices or stories so slow with hardly any dialogue.

I would be most grateful if you could mention a couple of titles with passably interesting stories but with clear diction and correct Bahasa Indonesian.

Thanks in anticipation of some ideas.

I've watched: Gundala, Love All: Susi Susanti, Cek Toko Sebelah. OKB (Orang Kaya Baru) was pretty funny. Love All got me teary eyed. Gundala was okay, certain stuff not original (a bit of copying Kill Bill and other movies here and there), Cek Toko Sebelah is okay too. I'm sure I've watched other ones too but I can't recall at this time...
Cek Toko Sebelah was really ok, I also would recommend "Imperfect" by the same director, if you like romantic comedys with a bit of a moral (not a religious moral in this case).

Gundala was actually pretty good but it could have been so much better. It was a bit all over the place and wasn't "tight" enough. With a bit more focus, despite some things that it copys, it could have been a lot better. As far as i know part 2 is coming. BTW it is based on aan Indonesian comic book as far as I know.

Last edited:
Trying to gradually become conversational in Bahasa I occasionally try an Indonesian film but often they speak in a colloquial way which is hard to follow, or children with squeaky voices or stories so slow with hardly any dialogue.

I would be most grateful if you could mention a couple of titles with passably interesting stories but with clear diction and correct Bahasa Indonesian.

Thanks in anticipation of some ideas.
I also hope that some people can help you with that. I watch the movies on Netflix with English subtitles since my Bahasa Indonesia is also not that good. So at least i can follow the story. Some movies that I found pretty clear and with some passable storys recently were:

Aruna & Her Palate
Ave Maryam
Cek Toko Sebelah (also the tv series which gives more shine to the side characters was ok)
3 Heroines
Imperfect
Tabula Rasa

Petualangan Sherina (Sherina adventure) is musical movie. No need to be fluent to enjoy it.

And this is the OST

Thank you Methblinkz. I will try one of these this evening.

(Curious name you have chosen. It seems to suggest getting blind on drinking Metho,)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back