Do I need my passport to fly domestic?

karmasabitch

I need to send my letter from KanWil Surabaya to Jakarta but the immigration office has my passport and wouldn’t return it to me until the Kitas process is completed. The immigration officer told me it was ok for me to fly domestic using the photocopy of the ‘Payment Advice’ slip she gave me. The one that states the prices for a 1 year Kitas, 1 year MERP and the biometric charge of RP55000. I already had my photo and fingerprints taken and paid the full amount of RP2,055,000 so the officer has the original copy. Anyone encountered it or flew domestic without your passports before?

When my agent (Retirement Kitap) took our passports recently we were given a slip of paper saying our passports were with Immigration...this satisfied the airline on a domestic flight DPS-JKT vv.

You need to be able to show a proof of identity, not necessarily a passport. A SIM, a KTP (Kitap holder), a SKTT, a foreign driving license...etc will do, as long as it is a domestic flight. Heck I have even submitted the registration card given by my embassy in several occasion.

Having with you the photocopy of the ‘Payment Advice’ slip is important in case of an Immigration sweeping, in order to proof that you have a legit passport and can't show it at request.

Seconding what atlantis says - you just need photo ID.

I never carry a passport for domestic Indonesia travel* but I do always carry a photocopy of the ID pages.

*I carried passports when my son was young and I was traveling with him, though. My reasoning was that if he had a medical emergency I would probably want to medivac him to Singapore, and so I wanted to be prepared. But that says more about my worry-wort personality than it does about the need to have your passport.

I’ve flown with no ID check at all a number of times on domestic flights, but I never count on it.

I’m always tempted to try and give my Costco card, but haven’t done it yet. :)

I've once lost my driving license (only form of ID I was carrying) during a same-day turnaround business trip, I flew back by showing a picture of my license that I happened to have on my phone.

Flew many times with just a copy or even a scan of my passport as well, no issues at all.

On a recent trip I checked-in with a colleague, and the agent switched our ID's (both driving licenses), which we didn't notice. We got through all checks perfectly fine though and only realised much later..

I’m wondering if you have to show your passport when you check into a hotel, I’ve always shown mine, not always shown I/D when going on an local flight, might be because I knew the girls

I’m wondering if you have to show your passport when you check into a hotel, I’ve always shown mine, not always shown I/D when going on an local flight, might be because I knew the girls

Most local regulations require hotels to register all of their guests with the police station. Usually the security manager takes care of that once a day. In Bali they have an online system for it these days where you can just upload all ID's to the police server.

I have probably never showed my passport in a hotel (considering I never carry it with me). Always gave either my SIM or my KTP OA (at the time I still had one/not yet lost it).

I have probably never showed my passport in a hotel (considering I never carry it with me). Always gave either my SIM or my KTP OA (at the time I still had one/not yet lost it).

I should've mentioned that its not necessary a passport if you have a form of local identification.

Then again.. they aren't that strict on it all.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll give it a go and will be flying off to Jakarta this Sunday to hand in the letter in person on Monday morning so hopefully, everything goes as planned.

The girls you were bringing to the hotel? :D

Jamie I think the correct response is that "I've never had to show my passport when checking into a hotel because the hotel knew the girls!

In a few cases the girl(s) have booked the hotel.

I always amazed me that the girl(s) know by heart the hotel extension for room service in every hotel. First thing they do!

Jamie I think the correct response is that "I've never had to show my passport when checking into a hotel because the hotel knew the girls!

In a few cases the girl(s) have booked the hotel.

I always amazed me that the girl(s) know by heart the hotel extension for room service in every hotel. First thing they do!
My 5 year old daughter is an expert at ordering room service!

Usually the girls get more of a vip welcome than the guy - oh welcome back miss susan, is this your new husband? lol or your new ahem uncle

No. You just need some form of ID, it can be from Indonesian government or issued by your home country. I'm sure they prefer something with a photo. I have generally used either my passport or my state-issued ID from the US.

However, please be advised that should you travel to USA you WILL need to show ID in order to purchase groceries.

Not even a Trump steak, served well done of course, with a coke - I mean you can just tell he is the sort of guy that eats his steak well done, with ketchup and a coke
and 2 scoops of ice cream for being a good Don

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs