Discussion on content quality.

El_Goretto

Cager
I've noticed that the last few links shared recently included some comments and open ended questions to stimulate discussion. I think this is awesome and it increases the quality of the conversation on this forum.

@Davita, @harryopal and @Daniel50, thank you! Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

ps: if I've missed anyone, please don't take it personally, I just don't read everything in details.

harryopal

Charter Member
I've often thought people aren't really meant to live together. Put two people in a room each with a different point of view on an issue and you have three arguments... make that six. I spent some time lighthouse keeping and found that in the absence of serious stress people elevate small things to a greater stress level. On a scale of 1- 10 with ten being death and 9 being an earthquake and losing legs and eyesight we tend to take a 1 (dropped a bottle of milk) and elevate it to a 5 or 6.

Reading various posts I can tell that at least half the forum contributors are stark staring bonkers but I don't blame you for it. Nature or nuture...who knows? Now who was it originally said.... " If you can't say something nice don't say anything." So then there would be no arguments and wouldn't life be dull.

For what its worth, I've found the forum a great source of information in trying to settle here and enjoy most of the other stuff. Keep posting and, as they say in the boxing ring, "Protect yourselves at all times and come out fighting."

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
Fixed the above for you.
After a short discussion, the Moderation Team (minus Dafluff) took a decision we thought we would not have to take.

Insulting one's family member or a member is way out of line and should not have happened on this board.

Vanhelsing's privileges have been suspended for a period we will discuss but which should give him ample time to rethink what he posts here.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
It was a cheap shot & I did get the inpression VH was having a pout- but I couldn't quite grasp why.
However, I didn't see it as an insult to Dafluff's mum, but as an insult to Dafluff.

To be fair this is probably one of the "cleanest " forums on the net & if that's the worst it gets then it is pretty tame: in comparison to a (virtual) place where I was recently & some English woman was pouring out some vile racist & Islamic puke at me. Because my nic & profile pic are not gender specific- she assumed I was from Pakistan, living in the UK & freeloading on the welfare system, oh & living on curry. She didn't write it so politely at all. I did enjoy the "debate" with her knowing how far off the mark she was- (fair enough I do eat lots of curry). There is no cure for stupid, sadly.

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
IMO VH was trying to be funny in post #24 (failed) but not at all with malice.
This thread originally got out of hand from E-G's comment and VH, and myself, felt it was uncalled for rhetoric. VH is a very intelligent member but, imo, he overdramatised his response.
I'm not an apologist for his post but I also think moderators should leave well alone. The thread died a natural death...so why re-energise it.

atlantis

Administrator
Cager
However, I didn't see it as an insult to Dafluff's mum, but as an insult to Dafluff.
I agree. I should have formulated differently. But does it change anything? Nope. Insulting a member is a no-no and has no place here. The point which shouldn't be missed is that insults are not welcomed.

To paraphrase someone in this thread, ExpatIndo value a certain type of member way above another: those who show respect for members of the community over those who don't. None of us have put money in this adventure to get gratuitously insulted.

I won't discuss this further. There are limits which shouldn't be crossed and said limit has been crossed. Perhaps it may serve as a reference for the future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseball1
Top Bottom