Indonesia set to introduce strict new law banning sex outside of marriage

pantaiema

Cager
Draft for a law: Criminalisation for Couples who Check In to the Hotel but Not Married

This is one of the reason why the people are really worried with religious extremist movement interfering people personal life. They keep moving forward and might not want stop until Shariah Law is implemented in Indonesia. Acute opportunistic politicians could use them as a pawn getting their vote in the elections.

It might be that someday people check in a hotel has to produce the marriage certificate.
  • It might completely decimate the hospitality industries as foreign tourists will be thinking twice to visit Indonesia.
  • Backpackers, tourists who meet each others or plan to meet each other in Bali and Jakarta or other part in Indonesia to travel together, to share the cost of accommodation (or other purposes 🤭) might stop visiting Indonesia.
  • Those cafes, other places for people sharing hobbies, opinion (and might continue to the next level) other businesses which employ a lot people might cease to exist as some people might stop visiting them.
  • Dating, seeking arrangement business will default
  • Other businesses that will be effected, You name it
Take it easy guys, this is not a political debate just personal opinion that could happen anywhere in the world. IMO is it not a good idea to dictate, interfere people personal life as we are living in the 21st century. I personally do not want religious extremists to dictate my personal life. It is fine if they impose or restrict their own life but they should not force other people to follow what they believe or what they want to do. Noone is forced to share the room in accommodation. Both parties must agree before they engage in activities like sharing the room, sharing the cost or for other purposes.

Last edited:
Never gonna happen, its election time, relax, they bring this up every 5 years along with banning alcohol

Imagine Bali or Dubai if not allowed to drink or sleep in the same room as a bf gf fiancee etc etc

All nonsense

Never gonna happen lol
Well it might not be happening soon, but never say never it could happen someday.

They have successfully implemented Shariah Law in one of Indonesian Provinces, The province of "Aceh"
Keep in mind Aceh is an oil reach province where there are a lot of foreign workers.
They do not stop it there but instead keep moving forward. Acute opportunists politicians will use them as pawns to get their votes. Keep in mind those religious leaders have a lot of people, masses behind them that could be brainwashed or mobilised for mass demonstration to disrupt or to influence the law makers. Many of these people are in the religious boarding schools or villagers coming from surrounding villages, small cities. These people will be happy to get involved in mass demonstration, they could also vote in the general election.
As long as there is still sizeable amount of people want to Implement Shariah Law in Indonesia, it might happen someday.

Honestly no. It’s similar argument to alcohol ban and/or removing a few 0s from the rupiah. All these things are mooted from time to time but nothing will ever come of it.

Relax

Never Never. I said it.

Acer is totally different regency
Likewise Bali which is the polar opposite

Even in the UAE you can drink and wear a bikini but it's haram and forbidden in the neighbouring Emirate of Sharjah who's ruler Al Qassimi is friendly with Saudi
There is also no border so if you drive from Dubai to Ajman through Sharjah with your shopping and a bottle of wine inside you could go to jail

I believe it is already illegal for a non married couple to share a hotel room and has been for a long time. While most hotels don't bother with it, some still do. There are a lot of laws on the books that people are fully unaware of that could effect their lives. At the same time there are more people out there who are supposed to uphold these laws that don't know about them either.

I believe it is already illegal for a non married couple to share a hotel room and has been for a long time. While most hotels don't bother with it, some still do. There are a lot of laws on the books that people are fully unaware of that could effect their lives. At the same time there are more people out there who are supposed to uphold these laws that don't know about them either.
They brought in the no sex outside marriage law - but they were creative in how they imposed it so you can only be prosecuted by your spouse (assuming you are cheating), your parents or your kids. I think that was a good Indonesian-style way to bring the law in that won't impact me (unmarried - in a long-term relationship). If they do bring in this hotel law Id say they will have some loophole. Some hotels/ guesthouses in rural religious areas already ask to see a marriage cert but I've never stayed in a place like that. However, I'd say this is just saber rattling to stir up the base and get some news out there.

Yes it exists but they don't bother
Again like Dubai and also with alcohol only supposed to be consumed by resident guests on premises or expats with a special licence back in the old days it was a nice red passport from MMI or A &E and you got budget allowance of 500-1000dhs per month to spend in special shops and then drink it at home
Or there was a semi legal place in Ras Al Khaimah port you could drive to and no limit but then you had to drive back through dry Sharjah and the paranoia of being followed by a taxi who would hit you and call the police to find a boot of semi legal booze
Ah the good old days

Never gonna happen, its election time, relax, they bring this up every 5 years along with banning alcohol

Imagine Bali or Dubai if not allowed to drink or sleep in the same room as a bf gf fiancee etc etc

All nonsense
It might be closer than you think..

This was reported today in the UK Daily Telegraph along with other articles in the bill.

There again the Daily Telegraph gets a lot wrong.

This was reported today in the UK Daily Telegraph along with other articles in the bill.

"Indonesia set to criminalise sex before marriage – even for tourists"​

The tourism angle is a bit daft, since it requires the 'crime' to be reported by parents or children of the 'offender'. Practically zero implication for tourism.

As usual the comments are worth a read. They mostly get it about right.

"Indonesia set to criminalise sex before marriage – even for tourists"​

The tourism angle is a bit daft, since it requires the 'crime' to be reported by parents or children of the 'offender'. Practically zero implication for tourism.
Interesting article-actually Indonesia is trending in world news these days, painted as a backward, bigoted, and authoritarian country, in line with a similar stream of news from here, like "..strong earthquake with devastating consequences" or "giant python swallows Indonesian farmer".

It is not important who can report you when the regulation sounds like straight out of the 19th century. As a selling point, that will be for sure beneficial for tourism. "Honey, do we go to Thailand or Indonesia this year?"

Maybe the Ministry of Tourism could organize a roadshow abroad explaining to foreign tourists how they can avoid being prosecuted for cohabitation (If you are not married, do not bring your parents or kids and you are safe).

Some of the comments to that article make it seem that these are the hottest news in town. Already in 2008 I had hotels rejecting me and my then girlfriend for not being married. Others allowed us to stay. It was in Palangkaraya to be precise.
I also not necessarily agree with everything but usually nothing gets eaten as hot as it is cooked. Let's see how serious it gets.
I feel like it's a bit too easy to totally blame it on Muslims.

In Indonesia especially when politics get involved everything could be interpreted differently. Just remember the requirement mentioned in the regulation that an Ex-WNI to loose their citizenship will need to be announced publicly in the register (?). It is celalry stated bakc and white in the regulation. We already know what happen later when the judge interpret that ???
The point is that this regulation might arrive to be used to punish people who don't comply. Moreover there is a possibility that the hospitality industries, hotels, accommodations, AirBNB, might also get punished if they do not check the marriage certificate before allowing a couple to overnight.
It has a political nuance with aim to satisfy particularly the right win group to win their votes. The problem here they keep moving forward, there is no stopper in place. Just remember the implementation of shariah law in Aceh province of Indonesia, do they stop there or keep moving forward ??
It is not a good idea to dictate, interfere people personal life as we are living in the 21st century. Many people do not want religious extremists to dictate their personal life. It is fine if they impose or restrict their own life but they should not force other people to follow what they believe or what they want to do.

Last edited:
You guys worry too much. Enjoy life. It’s Malam minggu.
Well what happen if your malam minggu someday get ruined as you can no longer book hotel with your ex, your misus you meet in the dating, etc. Hotels might refuse to accommodate you if you don't show your marriage certificate, thinking that they might get punished.
I know a lot of expats are doing that in Thailand. In Indonesia, and other part of Asia ? Well, certainly, it might not be as open as Thailand

Last edited:
This story seems to be hitting the news around the world. However the law is applied, in the end it's the headlines that people remember.

Terrible publicity for Indonesia when they are trying to promote tourism and sell the "second home" visa program.

I am sure lots of prospective visa applicants and tourists will be having second thoughts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back