Credit/debit card payments: Double swiping vs manually inputting, what's the difference?

El_Goretto

Cager
So there was this rule a couple years ago that double swiping at the cashier when paying by credit or debit card would be banned from now on.

But there are several retailers who still manually input the card number in their cashier. How is that any different than double swiping. It's just more cumbersome but it's still recording the data all the same.

I don't trust them with my debit/credit card info knowing how poor the digital security is with POS systems.

Please enlighten me if I'm missing something.

I've gotten annoyed at the cashier several times only to be met with confused looks, obviously.

The only swipe that matters or counts is the actual bank pos terminal the small independent one with Bca etc written on it with the keypad for pin etc

Anything else is irrelevant and doesn't make any difference to your security or balance. It's purely for their sales audit system.

Don't worry about it. Seriously.
Have you honestly ever heard anyone lose money from a card scam from a shop ? Mostly skimming is at an Atm.

So really don't worry. Personally I've never had any problems anywhere here or Asia with credit cards in shops, online etc with security. Plus these days most banks send you sms etc for each transaction or online they have double security where they text you another pin to input online also

Relax ;-)
Don't stress it

As long as the cashier did not try to jot down the cvv number at the back of the card, I'm fine with it. But even if they try, I already blocked it with tape.

I've noticed now that most of the time if they are inputting manually it's just a transaction number rather than the full CC number.

It's true I can't link anyone being ripped off by a shop keeping a cc number but at the same time they don't need it so since the rules changed last year I do make a point of politely telling them they shouldn't keep the cc number.

On the deal with the sms from the bank it's true it helps but the banks in Indo will not help at all with any transactions prior to you reporting it, unlike in most other (all maybe?) countries. Yes the sms can help stop future transactions but if your asleep or don't notice the message for a few hours you could be out of luck.

Have you honestly ever heard anyone lose money from a card scam from a shop ? Mostly skimming is at an Atm.

I have but not in Indonesia, in the US. But I'm not a representative sample.

Who knows what they're writing down. They may write the CVV code as well for all I know.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back