Covid19 and KITAP no-more-than-364-days-abroad rule

Takri

Hello,

I have read the article about covid19 in Expat Indo website, as well as regulations published on dirjenim website. I am still a little bit confused though regarding my current situation:
  • I have an unlimited ITAP since june 2019
  • I left Indonesia on June 21st, 2019 for health reasons, with plan to move back within a time frame of more or less 2 years
  • I intended to make a short trip to Indonesia before June 20th, 2020, because of the rule that voids your ITAP if you stay abroad more than 364 days in a row

That means that neither my ITAP nor my MERP is about to come to an end this year and I don't fall in any category described in the documents I've read so far. Do you know what should be done in this situation? Getting an unlimited ITAP was a hassle and I really don't want to take a risk to lose it.
1) should I try to get a flight before June 20st? I saw that there are flights and that KITAS/KITAP holders are allowed to enter Indonesia.
2) can I postpone and, if so, what should I do now (contact KBRI here? imigrasi?) and later?
3) best scenario: is by any chance this 364-day rule canceled this year due to current conditions?

In terms of safety point 3 would make sense, since having a few days trip to Indonesia just to renew the 364-day period doesn't seem like a "covid19 best practice", but I might be dreaming! Any info about this is welcome!

Thanks!

dafluff

Cager
Hello,

I have read the article about covid19 in Expat Indo website, as well as regulations published on dirjenim website. I am still a little bit confused though regarding my current situation:
  • I have an unlimited ITAP since june 2019
  • I left Indonesia on June 21st, 2019 for health reasons, with plan to move back within a time frame of more or less 2 years
  • I intended to make a short trip to Indonesia before June 20th, 2020, because of the rule that voids your ITAP if you stay abroad more than 364 days in a row
That means that neither my ITAP nor my MERP is about to come to an end this year and I don't fall in any category described in the documents I've read so far. Do you know what should be done in this situation? Getting an unlimited ITAP was a hassle and I really don't want to take a risk to lose it.
1) should I try to get a flight before June 20st? I saw that there are flights and that KITAS/KITAP holders are allowed to enter Indonesia.
2) can I postpone and, if so, what should I do now (contact KBRI here? imigrasi?) and later?
3) best scenario: is by any chance this 364-day rule canceled this year due to current conditions?

In terms of safety point 3 would make sense, since having a few days trip to Indonesia just to renew the 364-day period doesn't seem like a "covid19 best practice", but I might be dreaming! Any info about this is welcome!

Thanks!
Right now they are automatically allowing expired KITAS/KITAP or KITAP with expired MERP to re-enter Indonesia. This policy is only valid until the state of emergency is in effect. Right now that is until May 29th, but could be extended if required.

There hasn't been any updates regarding your specific case, ie. KITAP holder with valid MERP, but abroad for over 364-days. This is likely an oversight, logically they should exempt this too. I would contact DitJenIm and see what they say.

Takri

Thanks Bad_azz and dafluff for your replies.

• exemption seems logical as you said dafluff
  • what is unclear is until when people will be allowed to enter Indonesia with expired KITAS/KITAP/MERP or, in my case, more than 364-days abroad. You say until state of emergency is terminated but I guess people will first wait for the end of the state of emergency, then think about planning their trip to Indonesia, which will obviously happen later on. What's more there is a lot of uncertainty regarding which flights will/won't be operated, and this whole thing also depends on borders here in Europe... What if Indonesia says: "it's open now, please come back to renew your KITAS/..." but the country of origin says: "don't leave the country, the borders are closed"? What will be considered by Indonesia?
  • yes I think contacting DitJenIm is the right move. But do you have any advice on the best way to do this? Is there a preferred mail address? number? DitJenIm is famous for being so hard to contact...
Thanks!

dafluff

Cager
what is unclear is until when people will be allowed to enter Indonesia with expired KITAS/KITAP/MERP or, in my case, more than 364-days abroad. You say until state of emergency is terminated but I guess people will first wait for the end of the state of emergency, then think about planning their trip to Indonesia, which will obviously happen later on. What's more there is a lot of uncertainty regarding which flights will/won't be operated, and this whole thing also depends on borders here in Europe... What if Indonesia says: "it's open now, please come back to renew your KITAS/..." but the country of origin says: "don't leave the country, the borders are closed"? What will be considered by Indonesia?
Imigrasi has so far stated that the state of emergency is determined by BNPB, and as of right now the end is May 29th.

For Visas and approval telexes, Imigrasi has said the will "reset" when the state of emergency is lifted. So, on the day it is lifted, a Visa will be again valid for 90 days. Again, nothing concrete on your specific situation however.

I expect that if Indonesia says it is open, and your home country says it isn't, Imigrasi will follow what Indonesia says.

yes I think contacting DitJenIm is the right move. But do you have any advice on the best way to do this? Is there a preferred mail address? number? DitJenIm is famous for being so hard to contact...
I don't know that any one way is more effective for contacting them, but I would try all possible ways, including their social media:

https://twitter.com/ditjen_imigrasi

https://www.facebook.com/DitjenImigrasi/

Also don't forget the Indonesian embassy's consular section in your country may be easier to contact.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oxyfilters
Top Bottom