Converting ITAS to ITAP

Lemonyellow

My current spousal ITAS wil be expiring next year's march, and my marriage will be 2 years in next January. Would I be able to apply for converting my ITAS or do I need extend my ITAS for one more year?

If your marrriage is registered in Indonesia for two years, you will be fine.

(So if you married abroad and only registered that in February 2019 or so, you'd have a problem and need one more ITAS.)

NB: some Kantor Imigrasi do interpret it differently, some forum members encountered problems; I vaguely remember it used to be two ITAS also.

I think you would be eligible to apply with your two year marriage registration before the Itas expiry. That is assuming that the marriage was registered with the Indonesian authorities in March. As it happened I had applied for Kitap unaware that there was the requirement for a two year registration with the Indonesian authorities. (We had been married for 3 years but did not immediately register the marriage with the Indonesian Consul in Sydney). So, as I said, unaware of the 2 year requirement the Kitap application was lodged before the two year period. There were some other complications and the final approval sought with Jakarta. Lucky for us the process took five months so that by the time the application was then considered in Jakarta the two years had elapsed and we got approval. If the initial application had been swift we would not have been eligible.

Yes, our marriage was registered here in Indonesia. It will be 2 years in January, my question is can I apply for converting right after the marriage becomes 2 years or not?

If they give you any trouble, refer to the Immigration Law UU 6/2011.

In the combination of Pasal 54 (1) b, and 60, it clearly states as a foreigner married to an Indonesian citizen, the marriage has to be two years. Nothing about 2x ITAS.

Free translation:
In order to obtain a Permanent Stay Permit for an applicant as referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter b, shall be given after his/her period of being married reaches 2 (two) years ..........

We had been married for 3 years but did not immediately register the marriage with the Indonesian Consul in Sydney

Question on this point: Did you also register your marriage with the local Catatan Sipil afterwards, or was it enough to have registered this at the KJRI in Sydney?

Yes, our marriage was registered here in Indonesia. It will be 2 years in January, my question is can I apply for converting right after the marriage becomes 2 years or not?
Yes, you can apply straight away after your marriage reaches 2 years.

Question on this point: Did you also register your marriage with the local Catatan Sipil afterwards, or was it enough to have registered this at the KJRI in Sydney?
Yes, After returning to Indonesia my wife registered with the Catatan Sipil. Apparently that must be done.

Did you also register your marriage with the local Catatan Sipil afterwards
After returning to Indonesia.........Apparently that must be done

Yes, it was within one year, now it is within 30 days.

The fine for late registration is 1 juta but the problem is that all regions and cities draw up their own rules and can impose (additional) fines. For example, in Jakarta Utara it is 600,000 for late registration and much more in Depok but that's after 60 days. And in Surabaya the fine for late registration also starts after 60 days and is 500,000 rupiah for a WNI and 1,000,000 for a WNA (foreigner).

Yes, it was within one year, now it is within 30 days

Is that from the date of the wedding, from reporting to the consulate, or on arrival in Indonesia? I imagine it'd be the latter, on arrival?

The fine for late registration is 1 juta but the problem is that all regions and cities draw up their own rules and can impose (additional) fines.
Do you know if the fine is a one-off thing, or if it is cumulative (similar to the visa overstay fine) that accrues each day? It will be at the Catatan Sipil in Makassar for us, no idea how that will go.

We might be in for a little trouble, since it was more than 2 years ago (from wedding/registration at consulate), due to some visa troubles in Australia for my partner (outlined in another thread) that prevented our leaving.

Yes, they count the days after you arrive in Indonesia. Or when the WNI returns after the wedding if his/her domicile is still there.

Be careful though, not reporting at a KBRI upfront might complicate matters even more. Then the Catatan Sipil sometimes state they can't register the foreign marriage without the report of the embassy. And after many years the embassy might not collaborate so you end up in a vicious circle. Then only money or a law suit (which you will lose) will solve that.

The fine is one time only. And as said, they all have their different rules (a friend had to pay 300K in Pontianak). For instance, if you have a family change and the KK was not updated within xx days, they have a fine for that. But the amounts are never that high.

If it is any consolation we weren't fined for late registration. Nor were we fined for late application for a KTP.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back