Company house may not have Internet connection , what mobile solution is best?

vocalneal

Cager
I may have to use a dongle for internet as company housing may not have or allow external companies onto the site for installation.

What is my best option for a dongle type solution?

I suppose it depends on how long you are expecting to be in the house. There is always Telkom Speedy via the phone line. SInce we are in Jakarta for only 2 months this time, we are using a little wireless network modem: Bolt! Super 4G.

I suppose it depends on how long you are expecting to be in the house. There is always Telkom Speedy via the phone line. SInce we are in Jakarta for only 2 months this time, we are using a little wireless network modem: Bolt! Super 4G.

I second Bolt. I use it at home and it’s absolutely fine for anything I do on my phone, as well as watching Netflix/YouTube on my TV. 299rb gets you unlimited 4G internet. My average is 200 GB a month, but I don’t download much. If I have to download big files I’ll do it at the office.

I'm a bit of a dullard. So get a bolt modem. Stick it in/on the house and it wirelessly connects to the internet? Making the house like a giant mobile phone.

I'm a bit of a dullard. So get a bolt modem. Stick it in/on the house and it wirelessly connects to the internet? Making the house like a giant mobile phone.

Yes, there are Bolt stores around Jakarta where you can go to buy a modem and sign up with the unlimited plan. Only takes about 15 minutes to register. The modem is very small (just a bit smaller than a cell phone). They will help you set it up in the store to make sure it is working. You have to check, though, that Bolt covers the particular area in which you live but I think they cover most areas of Jakarta now.

The website www.bolt.id has all their information, products, locations, prices, etc.

Peri,

I am partial to movie torrents any problems with peer-to-peer stuff?

Peri,

I am partial to movie torrents any problems with peer-to-peer stuff?

I've never had any issues with P2P torrents, although I don't download much these days. When I used to with BOLT, it wasn't a problem.

Because of our way slow Internet we download peer to peer alot seeing we can't stream . One thing though get a VPN otherwise some sites are blocked.

I may have to use a dongle for internet as company housing may not have or allow external companies onto the site for installation.

What is my best option for a dongle type solution?

Forget a dongle solution, take a so called MiFi router. (If you just use the word router as some people here did, it is very confusing, that is originally for cabled solutions.) Inside the MiFi router you put the SIM card. There are many prepaid solutions, depending on how heavy user you are. Many MiFi routers have a battery, so you can even take it on the road. Of course your smartphone can also be a hotspot (so play the role of MiFi router).

Esp. Telkomsel in combination with Huawei have good solutions, but you need to check which provider has the best service in your area. (Bolt or SimPATI or XL could be really bad there.)

All devices as laptop, cell phones, and tablets connect to the wireless network, via WiFi and a password you choose.

images

images

Last edited:
Cheers, I was told today another two weeks for my work permit. :doh:

first check which ISP/ mobile provider least congested in your area, i am in Bali and mobile provider "Three" works like a charm, i just buy their SIM Card and put it in Mobile Wifi / MiFi and i have connection everywhere i go for reasonable price.

True, everything stands or falls with a good (4G) connection. If you don't have that...

Is anyone using a Kodi box?

I am but.. Do you mean a box to stream stuff for free (illegal?).

I'm asking because there is a lot of confusion as to what a "kodi box" is.

Kodi, is a free and open source media center program that can be installed on a variety of devices such as Android devices, Windows or, in my case, a Raspberry Pi running Openelec.

Its primary use is to access your local media library (videos, photos music). It can also access local TV if the device is compatible.

There are also a number of add-ons that can be installed such as YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and other legal add-ons.

But there are also add-ons that let you stream pretty much any movie or TV show and those fall under the category of pirating.

Some businesses sell android boxes with kodi pre-installed along with some of these illegal streaming add-ons. Those streams usually work for a while until they get taken down by authorities.

There is also no telling if those add-ons are safe or if they are laced with spywares or malwares.

And because there is a cat and mouse game between authorities and these streaming add-ons, sooner or later it won't work anymore.

I use my "kodi box" to play from my local library.

Kodi, is a free and open source media center program that can be installed on a variety of devices such as Android devices, Windows or, in my case, a Raspberry Pi running Openelec.

Right. My son installed it on his Smart TV but is not happy about it. And doesn't use it (anymore). Many issues with buffering and subtitles.

Now a friend in Europe was using a Raspberry Pi and I was rather impressed by the possibilities and its user friendliness. And that for only €70. I think he had LibreELEC, that had a very easy to use interface.

But as you say, most streaming is illegal. (Besides YouTube or so.) I'm not sure if the ownership and use itself is already forbidden, as many countries want?

NB: All rather hypothetical of course, in a country where movies and series are publicly and openly sold on illegally copied DVDs and BluRays. And would any shop, restaurant, radio station or mall ever pay for the music they play?

Last edited:
The music playing in most shops, restaurants and malls is so horrendously bad, I certainly hope they are not paying for it.

Ah but according to your "officially" .. it says "publish/reproduce" and "rents out for commercial purposes".

So yes a bar playing recorded music etc.. But listening watching at home? It doesn't say viewing or listening.

Next will be that every copy of Windows in Indonesia is "legal"?

I'm thinking it is only in the US that everyone is running scared?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke
Back