Committing to my expat existence

Joko

Charter Member
Cager
I made a big step yesterday in committing to my current country and circumstance. I've taken on a pet. A little 9-week-old kitten named Badger. I'll still be wandering SE Asia as I've got multiple friends who're willing to take of this little guy as I go galavanting, but for now, after 36 hours in my home, despite his meek beginnings. all I can say is that he's been quite a handful.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in for it now, Joko! I remember the last time I got a kitten*. As much as I love cats, there were times when I thought "What the hell have I done?" Kittens can be as exhausting as human babies - they outgrow it sooner, though, so there's that.

*Ours was female and precociously went into heat. She was too young to be spayed, so we just had to put up with it. No sooner would she stop being in heat when she'd promptly start again. We were thrilled when she was old enough to be spayed - but she was in heat again so the vet wouldn't do the operation. As soon as she stopped being in heat, we rushed her to the vet for the surgery. He shook his head when it was over: "This operation was harder than usual, because she was in heat."

Anyway, where did you find Badger? Rescued off the street?

A co-worker rescued his momma, only to find out she was pregnant, so he was born and raised around people.

A co-worker rescued his momma, only to find out she was pregnant, so he was born and raised around people.

Your lucky co-worker! Rescuing a bedraggled street cat is one thing...finding out your bedragged street cat is about to bless you with MORE cats is another basket of kittens entirely. You were sweet to take one.

I recently got not 1 but 3 street cats.

I was with my wife and we were driving down to the city when we saw this super cute kitten, obviously abandoned, by the side of the road. It was already dark and it would have been dangerous for the kitten to leave him alone by the side of the road. By the time I parked the car an ojek had stopped and seized the cat. I asked him if he would take care of him for which he certified me he would. I went back to the car and left.

Half an hour later, while driving back home, who do you think I saw hitch hiking by the side of the road? My lovely kitten with two colleagues in tow! We gave a ride to all three of them and they are now part of the family, along with Bully, our dog, a few dozens of rabbits, random chicken who came uninvited and a few other critters I don't suspect having made their home in our land.

I recently got not 1 but 3 street cats.

I was with my wife and we were driving down to the city when we saw this super cute kitten, obviously abandoned, by the side of the road. It was already dark and it would have been dangerous for the kitten to leave him alone by the side of the road. By the time I parked the car an ojek had stopped and seized the cat. I asked him if he would take care of him for which he certified me he would. I went back to the car and left.

Half an hour later, while driving back home, who do you think I saw hitch hiking by the side of the road? My lovely kitten with two colleagues in tow! We gave a ride to all three of them and they are now part of the family, along with Bully, our dog, a few dozens of rabbits, random chicken who came uninvited and a few other critters I don't suspect having made their home in our land.

Could we see a pic of the rabbits and their hutch?
The wife has an angora wandering around in the back garden. I've been thinking about getting him a friend... but the last two companions we got him died within a week of purchase.

Could we see a pic of the rabbits and their hutch?
The wife has an angora wandering around in the back garden. I've been thinking about getting him a friend... but the last two companions we got him died within a week of purchase.
My rabbits are "normal" one that we let roaming free. They don't have no hutch. I wouldn't have the heart to cage them. We have a big land, with connection with other big lands we own, so they are quite happy and just have to deal with natural predators.

It's quite funny though to see the most adventurous coming up from the bush and lining up when our trucks are back from the pasar. They just wait to get anything which doesn't pass the QC. No wonder why they are happy and breed like crazy!

I'll try to upload some pics but give me a bit of time. The first generation are almost pets. They have been very used to be pet by my daughter and son. The younger generation are more elusive.

Whoever invented this toy was a genius...

You are in for it now, Joko! I remember the last time I got a kitten*. As much as I love cats, there were times when I thought "What the hell have I done?" Kittens can be as exhausting as human babies - they outgrow it sooner, though, so there's that.

*Ours was female and precociously went into heat. She was too young to be spayed, so we just had to put up with it. No sooner would she stop being in heat when she'd promptly start again. We were thrilled when she was old enough to be spayed - but she was in heat again so the vet wouldn't do the operation. As soon as she stopped being in heat, we rushed her to the vet for the surgery. He shook his head when it was over: "This operation was harder than usual, because she was in heat."

Hahahaa so true!

We got two kittens who's father was a street cat. They were very young and both females, one is tortoiseshell (Ruby) and the other sleek jet black (Basil) - both have a twisted knob at the end of their tails.

Ruby is the outgoing noisy cat, likes to meow while Basil is quiet and just is laid back. Ruby we found out is the horny cat as she went into heat at 4 months...and went into heat again two more times! Basil meanwhile maybe went into heat for two days but we don't know as nothing much changed.

Both cats fetch paper balls when you throw them if they're in the mood. They will also find a paper ball and bring it to you to throw again when they're in the mood.

I just thought...is there a Cat section?

Whoever invented this toy was a genius...

Hahaha very good!!

We bought some cat toys for our two monsters...but they prefer crumpled paper balls, which they will fetch, and paint brushes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back