Cloud Storage

Wisnu

Charter Member
I don't know much about cloud storage although I use free Onedrive to store and transfer some of my pics.
Had no intention to put all my pics and video (total approx. 3 TB) in cloud. I put all my pics in my 4TB portable HD and back-up (manual, and not regular) into CDs.
But something happened few days ago. My computer (both Bios and OS) can't recognize the portable HD.
I have back-up most of the data except hundred GB of pics from my last two recent trips.
I'm searching google the information how to recover the data. Seem not easy and not cheap.
Then I received an add / notification "You can get 5TB of lifetime cloud storage for $100 today" from windows central.
Seem a good deal.
Is any body using this cloud storage (pay one of life time)? How reliable are they?
Thanks for any feed back and suggestion including how to recover data from portable HD.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
I use iCloud (mainly for iPhone and iPad) and my wife uses Google Photos / Google Drive (Android and Laptop). Both work well*.

Those lifetime solutions are always offered by (tiny?) companies that nobody ever heard of. And will they be around in five years or more? The biggies as DropBox, OneDrive/Azure, Doccle and so offer always (for them more lucrative) subscription solutions.

Did you try the external HD already on a different USB port or even PC? Reinstalled the driver? And do you see it in Diskmanager? If yes yes and no, I'm afraid it died and you would need your local 'ITC Mangga2' to recover the contents.

* I never needed a recovery so it's a bit hypothetical

Last edited:

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
Are there shops at mangga Dua that can recover data from seemingly dead hard drives? Any references?

Wisnu

Charter Member
I use iCloud (mainly for iPhone and iPad) and my wife uses Google Photos / Google Drive (Android and Laptop). Both work well*.

Those lifetime solutions are always offered by (tiny?) companies that nobody ever heard of. And will they be around in five years or more? The biggies as DropBox, OneDrive/Azure, Doccle and so offer always (for them more lucrative) subscription solutions.

Did you try the external HD already on a different USB port or even PC? Reinstalled the driver? And do you see it in Diskmanager? If yes yes and no, I'm afraid it died and you would need your local 'ITC Mangga2' to recover the contents.

* I never needed a recovery so it's a bit hypothetical
Thanks Jstar,
That's the reasoni want to know if anybody having experience or at least have looked into detail of their term of condition.

I have tried with different USB port, different PC, change cable and check with several shops here in Cairo. Practically not recognized at all.
The shops told me that they don't have the special tool to read the disk. One of the shop told me to purchase the exactly same model of hard drive and will use the components /parts to fix or to read the data from the disk.
I can't find Seagate with exactly same model number here. I bought the hard-drive in Jakarta. The model number available here is slightly different.

If not successful here, I'll bring to mengga dua or other recommended place in Jakarta when back home end of this year.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Be very cautious with that "5TB lifetime" sale, it's likely a scam: https://office-watch.com/2019/office-365-lifetime-plans-are-a-lie/

They have a corporate or academic license (perhaps legitimately, perhaps not) that they are selling access to, and when Microsoft realizes they're abusing the system they will close the account and you will lose all that data. It may be a few months or a few years, but not worth the risk.

I put documents in the cloud, but not media because of poor internet speed and caps. I backup everything onto 3 hard drives, with one kept at the office and occasionally swapped with one of the home drives. This offers protection from a home fire or burglary. Use a program like FreeFileSync to keep drives B and C mirrored to drive A.

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
For storage of valuable and irreplaceable documents, you want reliable media and redundancy.

I learned the hard way when one of my external hard drives became problematic. Now I have at least 3 copies of old photos in 3 separate drives.

One of these days I’ll buy a Network Attached Storage with RAID 1 configuration. It would run two duplicated hard drives, so if one dies the other still has all the data.

Ruserious

I back everything up to dropbox. Its gone up now to $120 per year so not cheap but after problems with hard drives before I learnt this lesson the hard way. Plus it makes it really easy to change computers or to access data from any device any time.

I presume you have tried all the normal hardware troubleshooting, running disk management and USB troubleshooting methods.

harryopal

Charter Member
'We'll all be rooned." said Hanrahan.

It doesn't seem to matter what you do... things just come unstuck. Hard drive malfunctions, lost email accounts and photos scattered here there and everywhere to just blow away with the cloud when something goes awry there as well. Apart from photos I do wonder how future historians will manage trying to piece things together. It has been that historians worked through collections of letters and documents... and now trying to follow email strings?

Of course there are eminently sensible storage routines as outlined above but for so many of us this is something that we will do later on.... and damn.... I didn't do it and it's too late,

Still, as Hanrahan said... "We'll all be rooned."

Said Hanrahan
PJ Hartigan © by John O'Brien

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan in accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began one frosty Sunday morn.
The congregation stood about coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock, and crops, and drought as it had done for years.
"It's looking crook," said Daniel Croke; "Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
For never since the banks went broke has seasons been so bad."
"It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil, with which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel and chewed a piece of bark.
And so around the chorus ran, "It's keepin' dry, no doubt."
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "Before the year is out."
"The crops are done; ye'll have your work to save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-o'-Bourke they're singin' out for rain.
"They're singin' out for rain," he said, "And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head, and gazed around the sky.
"There won't be grass, in any case, enough to feed an ass;
There's not a blade on Casey's place as I came down to Mass."
"If rain don't come this month," said Dan, and cleared his throat to speak -
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "If rain don't come this week."
A heavy silence seemed to steal on all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel, and chewed a piece of bark.
"We want an inch of rain, we do, "O'Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two, to put the danger past.
"If we don't get three inches, man, or four to break this drought,
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "Before the year is out."
In God's good time down came the rain; and all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane it drummed a homely tune.
And through the night it pattered still, and lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill kept talking to themselves.
It pelted, pelted all day long, a-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song way out to Back-o'-Bourke.
And every creek a banker ran, and dams filled overtop;
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "If this rain doesn't stop."
And stop it did, in God's good time; and spring came in to fold
A mantle o'er the hills sublime of green and pink and gold.
And days went by on dancing feet, with harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat nid-nodding o'er the fence.
And, oh, the smiles on every face, as happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place went riding down to Mass.
While round the church in clothes genteel discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel, and chewed his piece of bark.
"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man, there will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan, "Before the year is out."​

serious_fun

For cloud storage we just use Google Drive with a few different e-mail addresses, giving us the 15GB x number of addresses.

Otherwise, we've got a few 4TB Passport external drives that have worked well.

BTW: Our ancient (circa 2007?) NESO 1TB external drive is still going strong, but it's so huge and clunky that we use it with the TV for children's media.

Wisnu

Charter Member
For storage of valuable and irreplaceable documents, you want reliable media and redundancy.

I learned the hard way when one of my external hard drives became problematic. Now I have at least 3 copies of old photos in 3 separate drives.

One of these days I’ll buy a Network Attached Storage with RAID 1 configuration. It would run two duplicated hard drives, so if one dies the other still has all the data.
Indeed, regret is always after, and not cheap.
now I want to have 3 level data protection.
Not smart enough to understand various type of storage; the term NAS, Raid ect. so after the incident, I immediately upgraded my internal hardisk to 6TB, and external 6TB Seagate back-up plus - and for the third level, I'm considering cloud instead of manual backup to CD.
Hope I could be better than donkey.

Wisnu

Charter Member
Be very cautious with that "5TB lifetime" sale, it's likely a scam: https://office-watch.com/2019/office-365-lifetime-plans-are-a-lie/

They have a corporate or academic license (perhaps legitimately, perhaps not) that they are selling access to, and when Microsoft realizes they're abusing the system they will close the account and you will lose all that data. It may be a few months or a few years, but not worth the risk.

I put documents in the cloud, but not media because of poor internet speed and caps. I backup everything onto 3 hard drives, with one kept at the office and occasionally swapped with one of the home drives. This offers protection from a home fire or burglary. Use a program like FreeFileSync to keep drives B and C mirrored to drive A.
Not that one;
I have onedrive from Office 365, it is not lifetime, and not 5TB. Full just after I upload 35 GB
The offer is from polar https://digitaloffers.imore.com/sales/polar-backup-lifetime-subscription-5tb

Wisnu

Charter Member
For cloud storage we just use Google Drive with a few different e-mail addresses, giving us the 15GB x number of addresses.

Otherwise, we've got a few 4TB Passport external drives that have worked well.

BTW: Our ancient (circa 2007?) NESO 1TB external drive is still going strong, but it's so huge and clunky that we use it with the TV for children's media.
15 GB is too small. As of now, I need min. 3 TB and will quickly jump to 5 TB in few years

Nimbus

Charter Member
Cager
Indeed, regret is always after, and not cheap.
now I want to have 3 level data protection.
Not smart enough to understand various type of storage; the term NAS, Raid ect. so after the incident, I immediately upgraded my internal hardisk to 6TB, and external 6TB Seagate back-up plus - and for the third level, I'm considering cloud instead of manual backup to CD.
Hope I could be better than donkey.
If you have Amazon Prime, I think it comes with an amount of cloud storage.

Wisnu

Charter Member
If you have Amazon Prime, I think it comes with an amount of cloud storage.
I dont.
just checked, the unlimited storage for prime member only applicable for few country. Egypt, Indonesia, and even US are not in the list.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Not that one;
I have onedrive from Office 365, it is not lifetime, and not 5TB. Full just after I upload 35 GB
The offer is from polar https://digitaloffers.imore.com/sales/polar-backup-lifetime-subscription-5tb
I see, I thought you meant 5TB from OneDrive/Microsoft. That Polar Backup seems like a startup trying to get press. I would sign up immediately if it were a well established company, but I would be skeptical that this company will last more than a couple months or years. They are just reselling storage with Amazon AWS, so they have no infrastructure they have invested in, just a marketing department. Not much stopping them from closing up next month and starting a "new" company.

Last edited:

Wisnu

Charter Member
I see, I thought you meant 5TB from OneDrive/Microsoft. That Polar Backup seems like a startup trying to get press. I would sign up immediately if it were a well established company, but I would be skeptical that this company will last more than a couple months or years. They are just reselling storage with Amazon AWS, so they have no infrastructure they have invested in, just a marketing department. Not much stopping them from closing up next month and starting a "new" company.

Thanks for the advice and the link
You save my money 👍

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
I think my US based Amazon Prime comes with “Unlimited” photo storage. A small amount of video storage, though, that long ago filled up.

I use Amazon Prime, icloud and Google for backup. Not huge amounts of storage, under 1tb for each account. $30 or less a year for the last 2. I pay $120 or so for Amazon Prime, but get music, streaming videos and packages included, too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrischris
Top Bottom