Cleanup initiatives - no more plastic

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Indonesia is responsible for 10% of the worlds' plastic pollution in the Pacific, that is staggering for a population of 'only' 250 million, right?

Luckily more and more initiatives are taken. Although the whole 'pay for the plastic bag' is NOT implemented by many supermarkets! (Name and shame: Transmart / Carrefour, Diamond) Luckily SuperIndo does reward its customers who bring their own bags (-100 rupiah).

IMG_7509.jpg
IMG_7510.jpg
it is good to see what happened in Bali a week ago. If you saw the amount of plastic collected on the beaches, it's amazing.

The two young Indo sisters Wijsen also have been working on this for years already. It is positive they got some time on local television in the talk-show Kick Andy (recently a repeat).

Last edited:

dafluff

Cager
The government, specifically the Environment Ministry, had a trial program in 2016, where they made retailers charge for plastic bags. It had great results, dropping usage by 25-30% across the nation. It also had 80%+ public approval. However, the Indonesian Retail Association complained that the Environment Ministry didn't really have the authority to make such law, and the program was cancelled. This is so frustrating, because it is such a common sense, easy to implement and effective program. Easily the lowest hanging fruit, but get scuttled because of greed.

Luckily, the government, always in need of more tax revenue, plans to implement a plastic bag levy starting 2018, but without a doubt it will face resistance from retailers.

steveandpenny

Cager
Glad to hear that.
We alway have our backpacks when we go shopping so we don' usr so many bags also we ask for our stuff to be packed in a box. I know that' a little thing but it's something.
We also carry mesh bags when we dive or snorkel to collect bags in the ocean. We have tried to start a progrm here for all dive companies to have mesh bags with there logos on it to give to any diver to be able to collect plastic. Don' think they want to be responsible getting rid of trash in a acceptable way. I' sure any diver would feel good about doing something to help the ocean. Also it' good advertising letting the divers keep them to take home.

I know it' not much but one does need to lead by example

steveandpenny

Cager
Maybe someone should start a campaign to boycott products with microbeads or nanoplastics in them. Products which may contain it are toothpaste, shampoo, face/body wash, and detergents. But first some institution should get samples, analyze it and identify the products.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/02/uk-government-to-ban-microbeads-from-cosmetics-by-end-of-2017
I totall agree with you but mirobeads are a small part of the problem . Plastic bottles and bags are such a much bigger problem that needs to be dealt with frist.
It kind of pissed me off when so called eco warriors worry about balloos and straws. They waste time and resources on these problems when a much bigger problem needs to be addressed. I shit you not they are worried about turtles eating balloons and straws . It makes me think of someone pick corn out of a pile of poop when they should be picking up the whole pile.

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
I wonder why these days people have to wander around clutching plastic bottles of water, never used too, plus the advertising of water, water is water, I know we are supposed to drink so much per day, but I’m sure these days we are going over the top

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Toothpaste? Is dilute the focus a good thing?

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Already a couple of years old so I dont know what happened with this initiative?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Methblinkz
Top Bottom