Cipete & Cilandak

Flubadub

Hi All,

We will be shortly making our first recce trip to look at housing in a couple of weeks. This will be a full-on expat move and we are working with a company designated agent to find a home.

Our biggest priority is schooling for the children and we are lucky (?) enough to consider Jakarta Intercultural School (JIS) and unless something odd happens they will be attending JIS most likely the Pondok Indah campus but possibly Pattimura.

Our agent initially is suggesting Cipete & Cilandak as good locations that are close to the school and also have some green space for the kids to run around. I have seen something called "Compound at Cipete", sounds like a particular place but maybe just a region?

From what I have been reading and hearing from others, given traffic we will not be running around the city during the week meeting up with people so location might be even more important than it normally is...

Pondok Indah is closer to the schools but we are being told we would be alone in a high walled house that even if close to the schools we could not safely walk to them anyway so for now it is not an option.

I want to try and search online to narrow down things for the recce trip.

We are looking for a home near JIS (on bus route? short drive or walk?) and the home or its surroundings (communal area?) would have some space to allow the kids to play in relatively safety (away from traffic). At the same time I would like an area that is not just a bunch of expats. Are Cipete and Cilandak good options?

Curious what people think about this.

Rgds,

Puspawarna

Cager
Pondok Indah is closer to the schools but we are being told we would be alone in a high walled house that even if close to the schools we could not safely walk to them anyway so for now it is not an option.

That is simply not true! I lived in Pondok Indah for 3 years and my son walked to school every day. I also taught an after-school activity for little kids (ages 8-11) at the PIE campus, and several of them walked home. One rode his bike every day.

Now, you can't live just anywhere in Pondok Indah and walk; there are some busy streets. But this is a great time to be househunting because the number of expats is declining and there are a lot of empty houses. You should be able to get a good deal on a great house in Pondok Indah that is very safe for your kids.

At the same time I would like an area that is not just a bunch of expats.

Not to burst your bubble, but if you live in Cilandak, Cipete, or Pondok Indah, you aren't going to have lots of friendly Indonesian neighbors. It's not that everyone in the neighborhood will be foreign; there will be some very wealthy Indonesians who own homes, too. But realistically, it's not like there are block parties where you get to be buddies with all the folks who live nearby; it just doesn't work that way.

Your best bet for socializing with a range of people from many cultures is through school, work, and hobbies. You won't necessarily be meeting tons of Indonesians, but you will meet some and you will also get to know people from a variety of nations besides your own country.

Flubadub

That is simply not true! I lived in Pondok Indah for 3 years and my son walked to school every day. I also taught an after-school activity for little kids (ages 8-11) at the PIE campus, and several of them walked home. One rode his bike every day.

Now, you can't live just anywhere in Pondok Indah and walk; there are some busy streets. But this is a great time to be househunting because the number of expats is declining and there are a lot of empty houses. You should be able to get a good deal on a great house in Pondok Indah that is very safe for your kids.

Thanks Puspawarna! We will look to see if Pondok Indah will work for us.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja