Cashing singaporean cheque

zyrcon

I've received cheque from my employer in Singapore via traditional paper mail.
I tried to cash this cheque and visited several banks but couldn't. Those banks are: (I don't have my own account now but I have KITAS. I tried to open BRI BRITAMA USD Mastercard card via account but I found it very limited use and I closed it)
Mandiri - they can cash it but I should maintain an account one year or more.
CIMB - do not do for WNA.
BCA - Need business account aka giro.
OCBC - do not do for WNA.
Maybank - do not do for WNA.
DBS - Need to open account with 200jt.
BNI - Customer service responded via phone, do not do for WNA.
BRI - Customer service responded via phone, do not do for WNA.

Any chance I can do it?
I'm currently in Denpasar and I guess in Jakarta situation maybe different, please give advice.

snpark

Cager
No. Cannot. Only in Singapore. Send it back and ask for transfer or mail to a friend to deposit for you in your SG account

William King

Charter Member
Cager
I didnt know anyone outside of America still did cheques.

snpark

Cager
I didnt know anyone outside of America still did cheques.
Hardly anyone does, apart from Nigerians trying to convince you that they have one for $50million that is still valid, even though the date is more than 6 months ago and it says "Midland Bank UK" when that bank became HSBC 30 years ago
But yes, caveat emptor if anyone tries to pay you by cheque, especially more so now these days they are obselete mostly

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Many European countries still use bank cheques (which are always covered unlike personal cheques). Esp. with big amounts as real estate transactions (via notary).

Checks are almost always country specific (national banks don’t cover foreign paper). In the US you still see people pay with them in supermarkets.

snpark

Cager
Well not in the UK. A bank draft is the same as a "cashier's cheque". And only in the USA do you call them "tellers". And I am in banking and finance for 27 years. In the Middle East they referred to them as a "demand draft"
But the principle is the same. It's a cheque which is written on and guaranteed by the bank's own funds. Example if you didn't have your own cheque book, you would pay the bank to write a cheque against their own guaranteed funds so of course it wouldn't bounce. But time and the industry evolved.

Those days are obsolete. Along with letters of credit etc. So that's why hati2 these days usually only conmen etc who try and claim they have a cheque that they want to cash.

Either way the OP has no chance of cashing his cheque here and I'm surprised even his employer sent it to him unless it's a scam

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hindustanuniv
Top Bottom