Can children born in Bali get a Indo Passport if they Hold Foreign Passport?

baliexpat

I am an American KITAP holder married to a Indonesian Wife in Bali. We have children born in Bali who have their Indonesian Birth Certificates and Anak KTP ID's. We registered their births with US Embassy and they have US Passports and Citizenship.

Is it still possible for them to receive a Indonesian Passport or is that not an option since they hold foreign passports?

If the AFFIDAVIT DWI KEWARGANEGARAAN is their only option I have read that is good for one trip only.

How do we travel internationally with our children?

Anyone know of a good bali lawyer with experience in immigration law?

dafluff

Cager
Affidavit is valid for the entire time the child is eligible for dual national status (ie. potentially until they are 21). You can then travel internationally with the US passport.

If for some reason you need/want an Indonesian passport also, you can also do this, and the passport will be annotated with the dual-national status of the child.

There is absolutely no need for an immigration lawyer for this, just head down to the immigration office and consult with them. The one in Renon (if you live in Southern Bali, but north of the touristy areas, this will be your office) is pretty easy to deal with.

baliexpat

To apply for a Indonesian Passport I am seeing that a document is required called:

Surat Pernyataan Belum Pernah Memiliki Paspor Asing – letter stating that the child never had a foreign passport before.

dafluff

Cager
To apply for a Indonesian Passport I am seeing that a document is required called:

Surat Pernyataan Belum Pernah Memiliki Paspor Asing – letter stating that the child never had a foreign passport before.
Yes, you need that latter if in fact, the child never had a foreign passport. However, it is possible to both have an Indonesian and foreign passport. In order for this to be legal in Indonesia, the Indonesian passport needs to be annotated with the child's dual nationality status. An Indonesian citizen is after all eligible for an Indonesian passport.

Anyway, this is mostly academic anyway, since US passport + affidavit is pretty much all you need. I do not see much of an advantage of holding Indonesian passport on top of that.

baliexpat

Yes, you need that latter if in fact, the child never had a foreign passport. However, it is possible to both have an Indonesian and foreign passport. In order for this to be legal in Indonesia, the Indonesian passport needs to be annotated with the child's dual nationality status. An Indonesian citizen is after all eligible for an Indonesian passport.

Anyway, this is mostly academic anyway, since US passport + affidavit is pretty much all you need. I do not see much of an advantage of holding Indonesian passport on top of that.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager

In traveling extensively in Asia, I’ve found that having an Indonesian passport allows free entry in cases a US passport doesn’t.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Pff, in (South East) Asia? Only Vietnam I reckon. Perhaps Cambodia?

dafluff

Cager
In traveling extensively in Asia, I’ve found that having an Indonesian passport allows free entry in cases a US passport doesn’t.
Yeah I suppose for Vietnam you can avoid paying the $17 visa on arrival fee. And let's not forget visa free entry into Mali.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vanuatu

Charter Member
Cager
Vietnam was not always so easy.
Vietnam now allows for an online visa, takes one day for approval print it out and bring it with you, no need to get the VOA. As for the affidavit we have traveled in and out of Indonesia over 30 times in the past 10 years with my son using his US passport and his Indonesian affidavit (with his picture from 2 months old on it) with no problems.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hxtan