Campaign to hate foreign products

I have a personal experience importing a CPAP to treat sleep apnea. This device is medically necessary for people with sleep apnea to help prevent that damaging effects to the body from this condition. It is common to buy a CPAP in other countries used and save a lot of money from the ~2,000 USD list price for a new unit. Used units can usually be bought for 200-300 USD. In Indonesia it is illegal to import a used medical device. So that market is immediately cut off from the consumer. Importing a new device is the only option and even though it is a medically necessary device, the import tax rate is the same as luxury electronic items. Indonesia does not produce a CPAP machine so the only choice is to import. Bad news for the consumer in need of a medical device.

I suppose they are supporting the travel industry, as the obvious solution is to travel overseas for a used one and bring it back in hand-luggage.

I suppose they are supporting the travel industry, as the obvious solution is to travel overseas for a used one and bring it back in hand-luggage.
You can usually find good quality, used CPAP machines on Craigslist for $100 or so.

A couple of years ago my old cpap machine was dying while in Indonesia. Just trying to find anything to buy was very expensive. In the US you can find some new ones for $500-600.

Of course Cpap machines are very common in the US, these days.

Should we hate the Jakarta MRT since China made it? But he invited them to make it so I'm confused.

This is just another of those really silly things you hear here from the government on a regular basis. People import goods because 1, they can not be sourced here, 2. the imported good is far superior to what is available here, 3. the demand for it is high. For most, I would reason to guess is because it can not be sourced here. I never understood when gov wants everyoone to think that you can get everything here produced locally. That is just BS on a grand scale. They want you to believe that locally made products are the best in the world. More BS but many people believe that and swear by it. I have had people tell me local products are far superior to any foreign product. I just shake my head at the lost brain cells.

If Jokowi really wants to stop people from buying imports, he needs to get on that horse and round up programs to get Indonesian businesses to start producing items that are currently imported. He needs to work harder than just say Indonesia should be self sufficient without actually getting knowledgeable people to put it together and change laws that basically makes it impossible. All you get is talk. Unfortunately, he gets listeners too.

This. I think it is a combination of it getting more expensive and difficult. I believe Atlantis has shared some different figures a couple years back either here or the old forum(can't remember) in regards to the budget of a new project which included 10-20%(?) for 'a special let us help you donation'.

Pepsi, Ford, and a few other foreign companies have pulled out of Indonesia and the question that should be asked is why.
Kickbacks of all sorts amounted to12,5% to 30% on average and in one instance on a small proyek (I think it was about 300 jt) I can remember of, over 50%. :unsure::oops:

Kickbacks of all sorts amounted to12,5% to 30% on average and in one instance on a small proyek (I think it was about 300 jt) I can remember of, over 50%. :unsure::oops:

I think you are referring to kickbacks to get a government project like infrastructure, building construction.

For foreign investors, getting investment license approved is quick and clean (no dirty money). However, once you dived in, all kinds of fees, obstacles and inconveniences will begin to surface. But what can you do, you are already wet. Sometimes it depends on your local partners, if the company is not 100% foreign-owned. So luck is important in choosing the right partner in Indonesia. The worst is having a bad partner who, with the government on his side, squeeze you dry until you flee without your pants.

I think you are referring to kickbacks to get a government project like infrastructure, building construction.
Yes I am. It was in response to ChrisTex who was referring to posts I made a few Years ago concerning public tenders.
It was a fascinating 2 Years of my life and a journey in a pretty dark world. I have met all kind of public servants and politics who seemed to have no idea what public interest meant. Rest assured that I am sure that this breed is a minority. :D Unfortunately I didn't met with the majority on that journey. :LOL:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TopTalent
Back