Cabinet Reshuffle

dafluff

Cager
President Jokowi announced 6 new ministers today, 2 are filling empty posts after the previous occupants were arrested by KPK.

Tri Rismaharini (Social Affairs) previously mayor of Surabaya, where she was very effective. The previous occupant was arrested by KPK earlier this month, for taking a ~10% cut from about 1.9 million social aid packages. So as long as she doesn't steal, it would already be a vast improvement.

Sandiaga Uno (Tourism and Creative Economy), previously Prabowo's running mate against Jokowi. Now both presidential and VP candidate on the 2019 losing ticket are in Jokowi's cabinet. Even if you lose, you win, I guess.

Budi Gunadi Sadikin (Health), replacing the disaster that was/is Terawan Agus Putranto. Notably, Sadikin is not a doctor, rather his background is in finance and his previous post was Deputy Minister for State Enterprises.

Yaqut Choilil Coumas (Religious Affairs), previously the head of NU's Youth Wing, GP Ansor. He is among the more liberal of the leadership of NU and perhaps selected as a counter balance to FPI/Rizieq, etc.

Sakti W Trenggono (Fisheries) fills the place of another arrested minister. He was previously Deputy Defense Minsiter.

M Lutfi (Trade) was Minister for Trade under SBY for 8 months in 2014. He is back at his old post now. His last posting was ambassador to the US, a post he was just appointed to in September of this year.

Bonus picture:

Ever wonder how tightly knit Indonesia's elite are? Here is a picture that has 3 current minister in it, see if you can spot them. (Hint: 2 of them are listed above).

Ep1Lgo1UwAE3Z5i.jpg

Source: link

i can easily spot erick and sandi

I see they are holding Hard Rock Cafe bags - would that be when the Hard Rock Cafe was at Sarinah - in the 90s?

Hard Rock cafe London
Look what they're wearing

Lutfi is second from the right
Don't know the one on the right
Sandi's wife at the front?

Lutfi is second from the right
Don't know the one on the right
Sandi's wife at the front?
Ding ding ding...

Solution

L-R: State Enterprise Minister Erick Thohir, Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Sandiaga Uno, his wife, Trade Minister Muhammad Lutfi, and Sandiaga's brother Indra.

So it looks as if, maybe by accident, they have gone with competent ministers in two cases, replacing the disastrous predecessors:

Budi Gunadi Sadikin (Health) seems to understand what is needed to help end the pandemic, rather than relying on prayer like the last chap:

Yaqut Choilil Coumas (Religious Affairs) seems to understand that a religious affairs minister should serve all the different religions and interpretations there are:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats