Buying from overseas? Have no fear! (but stay on your toes)

steveandpenny

Cager
Have had great luck with small stuff from ebay things like ibuform hair dye (for wife not me) and even a bullwhip my wife wanted (dont ask). I had to get a post office box first because we dont have street names in the village and i think the monkey died that did the deliverys here. It takes 6 weeks to get a letter from the states and about 4 weeks from stuff from china or hong kong. But everytime we go into town we forget what we ordered so its like christmas time. The only rule we have is we cant open anything till we are both there.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
And be careful using DHL and Fedex to Indonesia. I've read that they tack their own import handling fees onto the shipment.
My experience as well. They attempt to inflate the price and add on predatory fees, as if your package is a hostage for which you are forced to pay ransom. I don't use either for imported items anymore, but still Fedex for documents to the USA when I needed a quick, reliable service, even though it's no bargain.

steveandpenny

Cager
Oh i forgot the post office charges a small fee for any package.between 7000 to 20,000 dont know why but they do. Maybe for lunch but its worth it just to watch them look for package lol. Oh yeah paperwork ...most things i have a freinds scan and email paperwork to me. There is also a app called docscan for leagal stuff.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
That 3.000-8.000 is considered administration cost. Nowadays the shipments, esp. from PRC and HK are handled much better, and I have not seen anything 'lost' or exceptionally charged for quite some time via the Pos. As said before, avoid DHL etc.

Exile

Has anyone shopped at http://hargadunia.com?

I've just made my 1st purchase two days ago; a Fujifilm X-T1 halfcase from amazon. It cost me approx 860,000 (all inclusive) whilst from local shop it will cost me approx 1 mio. Actually bought one from Bhinneka.com but 5 days later they told me they're out of stock & processing refund now.

Shipping time is about a month. Not much different with purchasing from eBay. So we'll see.

Felicity

Anyone have had experience with iherb.com?
I ordered from iherb with DHL and it stuck in Indonesian customs. I have called customs office and they said they couldn't let the product out because it needs letter of reference from BPOM, I called BPOM they said I need reference from doctor. Indonesia frustrates me. I just bought supplement, by the way. Grrh
I have searched online no one in Indonesia sold it. No wonder Indonesians are malnutritions, the government doesn't let Indonesians to be strong and better human being. *packmystuffandgotoMars*:plane:

bronze7

I was thinking of starting a store. To buy directly from the company as wholesale minimum purchase is 50 of 1 item. This will come from China. Whats the chances of being hassled by customs?

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
Many years ago when BA fly to Jakarta you would receive mail 3 to 5 days, now nothing less than 10 days or more, I've had mail which has written on it try indonesia, somehow directed to KL, so indonesia post arent always responsible for the delays from U.K. I expect the mail goes to KL by BA then whoever from KL to here

bronze7

I was thinking of starting a store. To buy directly from the company as wholesale minimum purchase is 50 of 1 item. This will come from China. Whats the chances of being hassled by customs?
Anyone have any experience buying in bulk and what happened at customs?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SwingNinja