Bringing your Mobile Phone to Indonesia and using local SIMcard

pantaiema

BTW, all this shows very well how risky it currently is to buy a secondhand phone in Indonesia. If you look on Tokopedia, Shopee, etc. you see a lot of phones for sale, many are semi new and obviously imported. (The model number in the iPhone settings for instance, shows for which market it was produced, ZA means Singapore, ZP stands for Hong Kong. So always check that.)

That’s obviously also a major reason they give you only one month of warranty and don‘t be surprised it will stop working shortly after that. They can ’fix’ it but it takes a long time and often addition funding.
I personally prefer to pay around Rp1m rather than submitting the copy of my ID, having my personal data to be recorded in Indonesia. Keep in mind they could keep your data as long as they want to without restriction, share or might even sell your data to the third parties.

What about just buy a new cheap Chinese phone preferably with two simcard slots ? There are a lot of them around IDR1m a few are even less than that.
As I understand there is no cost for receiving a foreign sms; so you will just use the phone for local calling, order Taxi, Grab, Gojek. For Mobile internet, WA you just tether them.

Apart from spending unnecessary 1m rupiahs, what are the other drawbacks of buying a new cheap Chinese phone ? Is there any better alternative than this if your intention is to avoid having your personal data to be recorded and kept?

Last edited:

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
The government has a website you can check if the IMEI is registered: https://imei.kemenperin.go.id/

And yet my phone which is was brought into Indonesia before the new law shows as "tidak terdaftar" despite working well. Phones that were purchased in Indonesia or registered since the new law would maybe show accurately, can anyone confirm?

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Apart from spending unnecessary 1m rupiahs, what are the other drawbacks of buying a new cheap Chinese phone ? Is there any better alternative than this if your intention is to avoid having your personal data to be recorded and kept?
If you are concerned about privacy, security, and your personal data, then purchasing a no-name Chinese phone may be counterproductive.

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager

Your personal information and data is still being collected, while you think nothing is wrong.

pantaiema

Your personal information and data is still being collected, while you think nothing is wrong.
True, but it is an entirely different matter if it is just a general information like phone number, calling Grab, Gojek, google map with the confidential information like your Passport ID page, your DOB, your health-records, your other home address in other countries to the third parties, especially if it could still be easily avoided.
Keep in mind Custom is different with immigration. I personally will only share my personal information on the basis of "need to know". If only one person / department have your confidential information, it is different with many people/department have your confidential information.
Let alone if that information could be stored indefinitely for no good reason by the party who do not have a good track record of protecting personal information like this
On 17 October 2022, Indonesia enacted a specific law regulating personal data protection, i.e. Law No. 27 of 2022 regarding Personal Data Protection. LEt see how effective they are. But the law is only law what matter is what they do to protect that personal information.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
If you’re using the Google products you need to sell your soul to that company anyway. And it’s similar for the Apple fanboys. And cheap Chinese phones? Brrr 😰

pantaiema

If you’re using the Google products you need to sell your soul to that company anyway. And it’s similar for the Apple fanboys. And cheap Chinese phones? Brrr 😰
Unregistered Chinese phone to be used for a few months ??
Many Chinese phones like Xiaomi, Oppo, Realme, ZTE, Vivo are sold in Europe and still comply with EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Otherwise it will not be allowed to be sold in the EU.

Last edited:

jstar

Mr. 10,000
An article from https://www.tijd.be/politiek-econom...schuwt-voor-chinese-smartphones/10323127.html

The Belgian State Security warns against Chinese smartphones from brands such as Xiaomi, Oppo and OnePlus. The Belgian Minister of Justice states that there is a "deep intermingling" between those Chinese smartphone companies and the government of China.

The Belgian Minister of Justice, Vincent Van Quickenborne, warns in an answer to questions from an N-VA member of parliament about the new generation of Chinese smartphones, De Tijd writes. A spokesman for State Security tells that medium: "We want to point out the potential espionage threat when using these devices." State security thus warns against these Chinese devices, although the service has not yet established any concrete cases of espionage, De Tijd writes.

State security says, among other things, that Chinese smartphone makers can be legally obliged by the Chinese government to cooperate with intelligence services. China's cybersecurity law may also force companies to give intelligence services unrestricted access to their IT systems, State Security said.

Of course the manufacturers deny 🤷🏼

But it gets worse:

According to a researcher, Gabi Cirlig, Xiaomi phones are essentially "a backdoor with phone functionality" — and that backdoor leads directly to secure servers in China through places like Russia and Singapore. Cirlig, a cybersecurity expert, and ex-Xiaomi user discovered that data, personal, mostly secured data, was extracted from his RedMi Note 8 purchased through Alibaba.

When he browsed the web on the device's default Xiaomi browser, it logged all the websites he visited, including search engine queries, both with Google and the privacy-focused DuckDuckGo, and every item viewed in a News Feed feature of the Xiaomi -software. That tracking seemed to happen even when he was using the supposedly private "incognito" mode.

And more:

ChrisTex

Charter Member
Cager
True, but it is an entirely different matter if it is just a general information like phone number, calling Grab, Gojek, google map with the confidential information like your Passport ID page, your DOB, your health-records, your other home address in other countries to the third parties, especially if it could still be easily avoided.
Keep in mind Custom is different with immigration. I personally will only share my personal information on the basis of "need to know". If only one person / department have your confidential information, it is different with many people/department have your confidential information.
Let alone if that information could be stored indefinitely for no good reason by the party who do not have a good track record of protecting personal information like this
On 17 October 2022, Indonesia enacted a specific law regulating personal data protection, i.e. Law No. 27 of 2022 regarding Personal Data Protection. LEt see how effective they are. But the law is only law what matter is what they do to protect that personal information.

*This post contains cookies. Click agree to accept.

No, they will collect that information even if you don't think they do. Unless you only use your phone for calls and sms text messages, your data is being taken.
Oh and guess what app you need on your phone to enter Indonesia that has lots of personal data on it. The previous app before that, the same thing. I know eHAC had a data breach and I want to say PeduliLindungi also did(could be wrong though).

You can deny this all you want and say the EU has a policy/regulation, Indonesia has introduced a bill, etc... all you want. In reality, your data is being taken with or without your permission. Also just because a phone company says they will comply with the regulation, doesn't mean they really are.

snpark

Cager
Just from your phone number I can get your address by calling McDonald's or bluebird

yophi

If you stay 90 days you can register by provider.. I can help you to register..you just by local sim. Or i help you to register your imei by provider. Pm me..

What on earth does register by provider mean? It has to be registered with bea cukai. You can register on arrival with any of the telcom compnies selling sim cards at the airport. If you don't register when you arrive you have to go to the bea cukai office in Denpasar where you will be taxed on the full price of your phone.
You can try this.. To register by provider https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdhoxk6Kwq5RsuCKpTJ2tM4m-i6Uc3wGHm5EResaMzcHhVW8w/viewform

That form official by provider xl. But you also chat admin to confirm your form.

mas_dam

If you stay 90 days you can register by provider.. I can help you to register..you just by local sim. Or i help you to register your imei by provider. Pm me..

What on earth does register by provider mean? It has to be registered with bea cukai. You can register on arrival with any of the telcom compnies selling sim cards at the airport. If you don't register when you arrive you have to go to the bea cukai office in Denpasar where you will be taxed on the full price of your phone.

It means (s)he knows someone with access to the database and who -with a small contribution- can be convinced to have it altered.

I agree that it is recommended to be generally cautious.
However, in this case it is legit: Indonesian Telecommunication providers are able to activate IMEI for 3 months. And for another 3 months and so forth thereafter.

That said, I would recommend to visit your local GRAPARI or other service provider's point of sale instead of submitting any data online. They will usually help as part of their customer service.
No "contributions" here. First hand experience.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
There is a difference between ‘technically possible’ and ‘legitimate’. There are people who live here for years on VoA. But the fact it is doable doesn’t mean it is legal or not frowned upon.

mas_dam

What on earth does register by provider mean? It has to be registered with bea cukai. You can register on arrival with any of the telcom compnies selling sim cards at the airport.

It is legitimate for the first 90 days. The point I am making is that it's indeed telecommunication providers and no customs that can unlock for 90 days. This is not about altering databases or such. Any further new activation thereafter is technically possible. :)

..."dengan registrasi di gerai telekomunikasi untuk mendapat akses jaringan telekomunikasi selama 90 hari"...

1674580055719.png

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noon_araya