Bringing in second hand guitar

colroe

Charter Member
I intend to bring a rather expensive, but second hand (1995) guitar to Indonesia early next year. Would import tax be levied on an instrument as old as this? Also can anyone recommend a safe airline to get it back. Would hate to have it stolen in transit.

Vanhelsing

Cager
I've taken a couple of guitars in before and have mentioned at check-in "This is an expensive instrument and i need to take it on as hand luggage/carry on", and been permitted to put in the overhead locker at no charge. I always have a 30ltr day pack with me as well.

I've never paid any import tax on the guitars I've traveled with into Indonesia or had more than a cursory glance given to the instrument at customs. This was flying with Air Asia.

Just to ad. The last time I took a guitar with me was a couple of years ago.

dafluff

Cager
I brought back a nice hand made guitar in 2006, and customs didn't bat an eye.

macvert

Cager
I came thru customs late one night & the officer did just manage to bat an eye as he waved me thru ... to which my porter remarked "it's late, he's tired ".

colroe

Charter Member
Thanks V, I am not sure if Air Asia would allow that these days, however will enquire with them prior to booking. It would appear that bringing in a guitar should not be an issue customs wise.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
I read in the musicians' pages that many airlines permit guitars- in soft cases, and the flight crew might stow it in their larger lockers if you ask nicely- 'cos the overhead bins are potentially going to be stuffed with things that might damage the guitar

steveandpenny

Cager
I know singapore airlines will allow you to carry it on and put it in a closet. And it should be no problems bring it in though customs tell them the value is 50 bucks if they ask

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ironmanjakarta