Brilliant... or pie in the sky?

harryopal1

Just reading about the King of Bhutan's announcement for the creation of a "Mindfulness City". As reported today by the ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-03/bhutan-mindfulness-city-gelephu-reverse-brain-drain/103410002

It sounds like a very noble and unique aspiration but after looking at the outline for the city meant to attract young Bhutanese back to the city I find it hard to imagine just how this will work.

Never been to Bhutan which has focussed on "quality tourism" which to me means expensive so never likely to visit. Any forum members familiar with Bhutan who might offer thoughts about this plan?

Just reading about the King of Bhutan's announcement for the creation of a "Mindfulness City". As reported today by the ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-03/bhutan-mindfulness-city-gelephu-reverse-brain-drain/103410002

It sounds like a very noble and unique aspiration but after looking at the outline for the city meant to attract young Bhutanese back to the city I find it hard to imagine just how this will work.

Never been to Bhutan which has focussed on "quality tourism" which to me means expensive so never likely to visit. Any forum members familiar with Bhutan who might offer thoughts about this plan?
I agree with you about quality tourism! Isn't that what they wanted to do here in Bali also? I also heard that to visit Bhutan you have to stay in expensive hotels and forced to hire a guide to explore the country!

I also heard that to visit Bhutan you have to stay in expensive hotels and forced to hire a guide to explore the country!

It is all about Gross National Happiness, sometimes called Gross Domestic Happiness. Given that happiness can be described as positive cash flow then "quality tourism" is the way to go and not throngs of begpackers.

It is all about Gross National Happiness, sometimes called Gross Domestic Happiness. Given that happiness can be described as positive cash flow then "quality tourism" is the way to go and not throngs of begpackers.
So it sounds like you believe only money provides happiness and the only people allowed to come to Bhutan and Bali have to stay in Five star hotels and all the local warungs and homestays and small hotels, should go bankrupt and not have the backpackers come and support the common people! Only rich? It must be nice to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth! That does sound Gross!

So it sounds like you believe only money provides happiness

I believe I said positive. So as long as you spend less than you earn or vice versa.

My spoon was pewter. It was my serviette ring that was silver.🤔

maybe a week ago there was an article in the Bali Sun, with some official saying "the only way to get quality tourist is to make everything expensive"....

It works in certain places, Tahiti, St Maarten and Hawai are a few examples.

maybe a week ago there was an article in the Bali Sun, with some official saying "the only way to get quality tourist is to make everything expensive"....

It works in certain places, Tahiti, St Maarten and Hawai are a few examples.
Where would the local tourist go than if everything expensive?

It was one of the questions raised in the article.

This is only a dream of a few that think more is better and step on anyone in their way! They are just jealous of the haves and think if they just get more and more, life will be paradise. It comes from false advertising on television, (Ray-Bans, fast cars, pretty girls, bleached skin, sexy tobacco ads, etc.) the rich didn't get rich from hard work! They got rich from stepping on all the poor! But as I see it ( Karma's a bitch) and it will always come and bite you on the ass!

Meanwhile, thoughts about "Mindfulness City"?
1707097516855.png

Meanwhile, thoughts about "Mindfulness City"?
View attachment 3819
Is this even possible? I have never seen a city that was mindful of the inhabitants! There was always districts that separated the rich from the poor, the whites from the blacks, Chinese from Koreans, how can you have your water pipes next to the sewer pipes and not expect contamination. Because of this they have to put Chlorine, Fluoride, Bromine, in the water that comes out of the taps. This is a strange situation I want no part of. The only time I go to cities is to go to the airport and get on a plane to see the world! So to think a mindful city can be created is a pipe dream! It cannot exist in the real world!

I suppose the closest thing to a Mindfulness City might be Singapore. Fifty years ago visiting Singapore felt like visiting the future so rapid was the pace of change. By any accounts Singapore is a marvelous city but always the sense that Big Brother is watching and knowing that if you were too critical of the prime minister or government you might be bankrupted with court proceedings for libel. A rather claustrophobic cultural backdrop. China seems to aspire to head in the same direction.
1707103208150.png

I suppose the closest thing to a Mindfulness City might be Singapore. Fifty years ago visiting Singapore felt like visiting the future so rapid was the pace of change. By any accounts Singapore is a marvelous city but always the sense that Big Brother is watching and knowing that if you were too critical of the prime minister or government you might be bankrupted with court proceedings for libel. A rather claustrophobic cultural backdrop. China seems to aspire to head in the same direction.
View attachment 3821
This sort of mindfulness sounds more like paranoia that enlightenment! A person there has to be mindful if they break a rule like throwing chewing gum on the sidewalk, or pissing on the toilet seat, insulting the authorities is a crime in many places I heard, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, etc. they could be incarcerated for these crimes. Do you remember the American girl making posts about gays people getting together and having parties, and putting them on Facebook! She got deported within a week. Apparently homosexuality is illegal here and doesn't exist. So apparently people are being watched what they post online! As I post this online! I hope I didn't say anything illegal?

View attachment 3821
PRC's done a lot more than head in the same direction. They've taken the lead and are running away with the race.

PRC's done a lot more than head in the same direction. They've taken the lead and are running away with the race.
Please tell us more? Are they being kind to the people? Or are they being controlling and forcing a lot of rules on the people! I always thought mindfulness referred to the Buddhist way of thinking!

Please tell us more? Are they being kind to the people? Or are they being controlling and forcing a lot of rules on the people! I always thought mindfulness referred to the Buddhist way of thinking!
Their behavior is well publicized. They're not kind to the people unless you believe that reeducation camps, invasion of privacy, and elimination of civil liberties are kindness.

Their behavior is well publicized. They're not kind to the people unless you believe that reeducation camps, invasion of privacy, and elimination of civil liberties are kindness.
Hmmmm, hmmmm, been several times to China and the people did not seen terrorized by oppression !
On the contrary, over the last 25 years 100's of millions of rural citizens found jobs in the booming cities and joined the middle class.

Now, they have their rules (and LGBT rights are not their main priority) but it's a sovereign country. They manage it like they want. And we have no business in teaching them our fantastic Western democratic, paradise of liberties and human rights system !
To progress in one generation what took us 3 or 4 takes a very strong governing system.
SGP, Korea, Taiwan all went through that for example.

And concerning the Budhist thing, do you think there is democracy and freedom of expression in Thailand ?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, hmmmm, been several times to China and the people did not seen terrorized by oppression !
On the contrary, over the last 25 years 100's of millions of rural citizens found jobs in the booming cities and joined the middle class.

Now, they have their rules (and LGBT rights are not their main priority) but it's a sovereign country. They manage it like they want. And we have no business in teaching them our fantastic Western democratic, paradise of liberties and human rights system !
To progress in one generation what took us 3 or 4 takes a very strong governing system.
SGP, Korea, Taiwan all went through that for example.

And concerning the Budhist thing, do you think there us democracy and freedom of expression in Thailand ?
I couldn't really say. I haven't been there for many years. All I know is what I hear on the internet. They legalized Ganja and shops sell it legally. That's an improvement! As far as democracy and freedom, I cannot say! I was just referring to the Buddhist teachings of focusing on the moment, listening to your breath, observing but not judging. That is what I thought mindfulness was. I was not referring to Politics, or a country's policies! Bhutan looks like a very interesting country, from the videos I've seen. Very similar to the Tibetan culture I've seen in India!

I couldn't really say. I haven't been there for many years. All I know is what I hear on the internet. They legalized Ganja and shops sell it legally. That's an improvement! As far as democracy and freedom, I cannot say! I was just referring to the Buddhist teachings of focusing on the moment, listening to your breath, observing but not judging. That is what I thought mindfulness was. I was not referring to Politics, or a country's policies! Bhutan looks like a very interesting country, from the videos I've seen. Very similar to the Tibetan culture I've seen in India!
I lived in Thailand for 10 years. Married and 3 kids, all brought up Western way and adult now.
Separated from the ex Thai since 15 years.
What I can say is that Thai's are not the calm lovely people that you see on tourist brochures. They are rather very violent.
There is a canyon size gap between the Budhist teachings and what they practise in daily life.
At every level. Scams and scandals involving monks are daily occurence.

I lived in Thailand for 10 years. Married and 3 kids, all brought up Western way and adult now.
Separated from the ex Thai since 15 years.
What I can say is that Thai's are not the calm lovely people that you see on tourist brochures. They are rather very violent.
There is a canyon size gap between the Budhist teachings and what they practise in daily life.
At every level. Scams and scandals involving monks are daily occurence.
Yea, I saw that thirty years ago when I first started going there. It's the same as what I saw in America, India, Thailand! When it was just the Hippies smoking pot and trying new experiences, like meditation, vegetarian diet, Buddhist teachings, studying the Koran, Hinduism, it was a revolution of growth and Mindfulness! But the Mafia brought in Heroin, Cocaine, Morphine, etc. and everything went down the drain. Corruption, robberies, overdoses, Deaths, etc.
Remember when Khoa San Rd. And Pushkar India, Kuta Bali were all about Peace and love, and smoking Hash and weed. There was no hard drugs yet and everyone was having a great time! There was a musical revolution as well. People actually played the instruments and used their voices to make music, before this electronic pyscho babble came along!
And yes the monks are only human too! Just because a person tries to practice a religion or teaching doesn't mean instant enlightenment!

Reactions: Bob

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramsau
Back