Bandar Lampung

Thank you for the info on the ophthalmologist at Imanuel. I presume he is only available weekdays.

I went to Advent instead as it is closer to my place. The ophthalmologist was quick to see but they took over an hour to dispense the medication.

Good you found someone and eventually got the medication you needed. Hope all is well now.

coming in a bit late...

Bandar Lampung is the home of Nestles and their coffee is grown and processed here. It is also home to Coca Cola.
Tourism is not a big money item yet but they want to build on it. Especially in the sleepy Tanjung Setia/Krui area where surf is big and it is absolutely beautiful and unspoiled.

Pls tell more on this... :D

coming in a bit late...

Pls tell more on this... :D
Anything in particular that you want to know? Coca cola is the bottling plant. Evidently they do have a need for English speakers because about a year ago I was told they were looking to set up an internal course in English speaking grammar to aid their English speakers. Haven't hear if anything ever came from that.
Nestles is HQ in Jakarta but their coffee operation is in South Bandar Lampung. Primarily their instant coffee operation. All those jars of Nescafe you see, except the freeze dried premium, is made here along with most of those packets of flavored coffee you find in 10, 15, and 20 packs. Nescafe coffee comes from Lampung. Lampung is one of, if not the largest coffee producing areas in Indonesia. It is the home of the Indonesian robusta bean coffee. It is found in every warwung, oleh oleh shop, supermarket, and convenience store here. It's pretty cheap too. We go through our share of it. have to support the local economy you know.

Tanjung Setia/Krui is located on the SW coast of Lampung. You get there by car after a 6 hour drive over some at first, good road that turns into some knuckle whitening for the half way to three quarters way as you go over the mountain and see all the trucks and buses who didn't make it that are now best just scrap metal. The holes in the roads have to be driven around because you won't make it trying to drive over them. Way too deep. You will get to see some beautiful mountain jungle. Some of it will be on the road where the side caved in but hey, you are on an adventure. Once over the mountain the road smooths out and the scenery gets really beautiful. many places the road swings along the coast and you see surf area after surf area where there are no people. When you finally arrive Tanjung Setia you can head to a surf camp for your stay. Some advertise on line and you can check them out there. Most will not actually look like the pictures posted but hey, that adventure. There are no hotels per say. Home stays and surf camps. We discovered that prices are per person. Normally 2 beds per room, hut, cut out, and if you are traveling alone, don't be surprised if you get a room mate. Electricity is spoty. OK, spoty is that there normally is no power from PLN because as they say, one of those cave ins in the mountains tore down the wires. Most places do have gen set that they operate for a few hours a night. Make sure your phones are ready to charge when it goes on. Meals are normally included with the prices. No, you don't order or go through a buffet. They cook, you eat. The fish is fresh and delicious. That will be your evening meal. Every day. Beer is cold. I actually seen sheep, as in lamb chops, in TS. Not goats.

Head up the coast just a bit and you are in Krui. There are a couple local style hotels there along with more surf camps. I think the hotels charge by the room but they are not right on the water like the surf camps. Of course, there is local food and I understand at least one bar. Electricity is no better.

In between TS and Krui, there is Matahari beach. That is the only area that is not a reef and has a sand bottom. There is one entrance and the locals drive up to it, park, and sit. For kilometers on both sides of that entrance, there is nothing on the beach.

Surfing. From before TS, in Tanjung Bali to far North of Krui, there are surfing areas. The coast line is curvy so you can always find the wind. TS has three different breaks depending on when you leave your surf camp, you go straight, left, or right. The high season is March to November and the surf can reach 4 meters. In the off season, it is running at about a constant 1 meter up to 2 meters with a good wind. There are now 2 international surf competitions held there in the high season. Before they started doing those, the area was a secret for some Australians and they never seemed to let others know to keep the crowds down. Our last visit we met some guys that worked for Microsoft in the US, a German airline pilot that comes every year, a couple Australians, and an Italian. This was in the off season and in just 2 of the surf camps. I think in the high season you would need to get your reservations in early.

The shore line is all government owned up to 15 meters above the high tide mark. I thought is may be a good idea to pitch a tent and stay on the beaches. The surf camps don't want you accessing the areas in front of their places, through their property but there are plenty of places to access. There was one piece of property for sale along the coast in TS. Big enough for a small place with some landscaping. They were asking 1.25 US million for it.

he trip there and back is an adventure all by their selves, the visit is worth it. It is an absolutely beautiful area.

Thank you Fastpitch17, Great information on Bandar Lampung, my last stay there was a couple of months ago. I have been visiting Lampung for 15 years and never really viewed it as a place I would live or retire to. However my last trip really surprised me.

There are many great restaurants and cafes. I say this as someone who is a hard marker. I found a cigar lounge where I can sit and enjoy live music, hipster style barbers, great sea-food, gyms, western restaurants and friendly locals.

Getting around used to be tougher:
Previously the taxis wouldn’t use meters and I would have to pay about 70.000rp for a short 1 km trip or simply walk. Now with Go-Jek I rarely have to wait anymore than 5 to 7 minutes to be picked up anywhere in the city and the standard fare is 8.000rp, options are available to include a tip via the app after the trip has concluded. The drivers are always courteous and never ask too many questions, very professional and they all obey the rules of Go-Jek.

The airport has been fixed (clean and tidy, more professional and comes with a greater sense of safety) and it’s a breeze getting through.

This was the first time I ever considered living outside of bali. I will keep an eye on property prices and perhaps I will settle there.

Bandar Lampung has a number of nice restaurants all over the city. I try to avoid any in the big hotels since they have a tendency to be way over priced but there are many others to choose from. New ones all the time. While most have really good food and prices are not that bad, they do seem to lack that organizational quality that established restaurants have. They seem to open with a nice menu but can't organize their staff or kitchens to properly serve their customers. Hopefully this will come in time and hopefully before it hurts their business.

Next month in December a new Transmart will open here and many are looking forward to that. Me because it will be a five minute commute from home. I always thought that Transmarts were Carrefore stores but this one keeps mentioning Lotte in their write ups. Either way, hopefully they will carry things the others do not. Like pork. Supermarkets here do not carry any pork products. Not that it is a problem since a few of the Pasars in the areas that have Chinese and Balinese residents. We hit the Pasar around 9:00 AM and normally buy 8 kilos at a time. We point, they cut. get just what we want. Meaty bellies for bacon and loins for smoking. Char Su is coming up. Sausages made already. Will be smoked ham for Christmas. Price per kilo, no skin, no bones, Rp65,000. A lot cheaper then beef.

Traffic in BL has been pretty bad in spots as of late. Primarily due to the construction the Mayor is doing to build overpasses to ease the traffic. Hopefully his plan will work. At least he's trying to do something.

Transmart will be a great addition to Lampung, especially after the Mall Boemi Kedaton which is close by.

Will be nice to get more competition in Lampung.

Thank you Fastpitch17, Great information on Bandar Lampung, my last stay there was a couple of months ago. I have been visiting Lampung for 15 years and never really viewed it as a place I would live or retire to. However my last trip really surprised me.

There are many great restaurants and cafes. I say this as someone who is a hard marker. I found a cigar lounge where I can sit and enjoy live music, hipster style barbers, great sea-food, gyms, western restaurants and friendly locals.

Getting around used to be tougher:
Previously the taxis wouldn’t use meters and I would have to pay about 70.000rp for a short 1 km trip or simply walk. Now with Go-Jek I rarely have to wait anymore than 5 to 7 minutes to be picked up anywhere in the city and the standard fare is 8.000rp, options are available to include a tip via the app after the trip has concluded. The drivers are always courteous and never ask too many questions, very professional and they all obey the rules of Go-Jek.

The airport has been fixed (clean and tidy, more professional and comes with a greater sense of safety) and it’s a breeze getting through.

This was the first time I ever considered living outside of bali. I will keep an eye on property prices and perhaps I will settle there.

Pardon me if it's too late to reply.
But if you are a beach lover , you can try to visit Pantai Ringgung or Pantai Klara . It's nearby Bandar Lampung 1 hour by Car . You can go to Island called Pasir Timbul or Pahawang Island .

"No matter' said Sherlock "it appears not too many know where is Lampung, nor why anyone would want to go there!"

I found the OP most interesting as I have a job up there. I'll only be working for two days but I may book an extra night in the hotel so I get chance to wander around and take a few snapshots.
I'm wandering all over the country at the moment and I'm keen to see yet another place.

I found the OP most interesting as I have a job up there. I'll only be working for two days but I may book an extra night in the hotel so I get chance to wander around and take a few snapshots.
I'm wandering all over the country at the moment and I'm keen to see yet another place.

Lampung may not as famous as Jakarta or Bali but Lampung has so many beautiful beaches to visit and also has delicious foods. Especially now Lampung is very far developed compared to before . This month Lampung has big event called " Lampung Fair " . From October 12nd - October 27th . Its located in Way Halim Bandar Lampung if i'm not mistaken

I have no care about the beaches but I will be trying the food, and finding out a little about the local culture and environment.

As many who reside in Indonesia know, the Krakatoa activity caused a tidal wave that not only hit parts of Java, but also Lampung. Primarily the shores along the bay were effected with 3 meter waves. There were a few lives lost but much less than java along with some injuries. It was and in many places continues to be a big mess. I tried to check out some areas on the East side of the bay but was denied access by the authorities. Hoping to take another trip down the shore soon. maybe can get closer now.

As for Bandar Lampung itself, it did do some damage but most of it was where the residents build their houses on top of the water on top of what I call sticks. Many didn't make it. Some here know me as a guy that will say whatever the hell I feel like and I will say that while I am sorry that anyone lost their lives or were injured, I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would build a house like that. Build a house like that in an area that is a straight shot from Krakatoa. Ask anyone and they can tell you old tales of krakatoa but do you think anyone ever learned from it? I don't think so. Even I as a stupid American made sure any places we looked at to rent were above Krakatoa's 100 meter Tsunami history. We are at 106 meters above sea level.

My SIL build their house in Southern Bandar Lampung 50 years ago. It was a pristine place on the beach. Now she is over 100 meters from the shore and between her and it is cement that has been poured in so someone else could build a house or just piles of junk used for the same purpose. It was, if you needed a plot of land, fill in the bay. From that 100 meter distance there is another 50 meters of wood framed houses built over the water. Pirated water goes to the houses and no pipes go out. Kids swim all around those houses. Trash has now piled up against the Bandar Shores mainly from these houses. No one has any type of certificate of ownership and certainly pay no tax beyond my SIL's house. . You can see them almost surround the Southern areas of Bandar Lampung. The Community of Panjang where most are located is probably the most populated area of Bandar Lampung. I have never once seen a somewhat modern house there and buildings pretty much are on connected to the other. It is the industrial and manufacturing area and it surely smells like it. It is dusty too. We avoid it except for a monthly visit to the SIL where we spend 2 to 3 hours. Once you get beyond Panjang, things begin to spread out. I wish the government would decide they need all these houses gone. They shouldn't be there. Besides an eye sight, they are adding a lot of pollution to the shore areas of Bandar Lampung by way of trash and human waste.

Carrefour did open. Hate it. Totally ill thought out shopping experience. If you want to do normal grocery shopping you have to cover two floors to find what you need. If you stop at the bakery section you need to walk all the way back through other sections before you can enter the grocery area on that floor. They are crowded. Mostly still with those that just walk around in groups and buy nothing while their kids run around freely. There is also a Lotte Grocer now. They are never too busy. Sometimes you can find a deal but a few of the local supermarkets beat most of their prices. Chandra is the big local chain merchant and we do most of our shopping there. SuperIndo is available and has some good pricing on many items and to us has the best meat department. Clean, bright, and they wear gloves. Giant, big and medium size has been looking rather bare for customers. I can't see them lasting much longer. Hypermart is pretty slow. I attribute that to their prices being 10 to 20% higher than any other store. I guess that they use the same pricing as they do in jakarta, including produce that they in all likelihood buy locally. The store looks great but people just don't seem to go there. It is in the same location as Matahari Department store. The only store that offers any pork products is Chandra in a very limited choice.

Bandar Lampung now has 8 flyovers and one underpass build to aleve some of the traffic problems it had. The mayor has two more flyovers planned for 2019 construction in two more places that need some serious relief. More restaurants have opened be they in malls or stand alone. Japanese seems to be the flavor of the day for popularity.

Still love the city. Especially since it isn't Jakarta.

. I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would build a house like that. Build a house like that in an area that is a straight shot from Krakatoa. Ask anyone and they can tell you old tales of krakatoa but do you think anyone ever learned from it? I don't think so. Even I as a stupid American made sure any places we looked at to rent were above Krakatoa's 100 meter Tsunami history. We are at 106 meters above sea level. .

The Bay of Bengal has 380" of rain a year and huge floods every year and with it usually tens of thousands of displaced people. But once the floods recede people go back. When you are dirt poor, powerless and just surviving day to day there aren't many achievable alternatives. I guess that's the story for many of the stick shack dwellers

Ohh by the way, I am told the next tsunami will be 108 metres above sea level.

The Bay of Bengal has 380" of rain a year and huge floods every year and with it usually tens of thousands of displaced people. But once the floods recede people go back. When you are dirt poor, powerless and just surviving day to day there aren't many achievable alternatives. I guess that's the story for many of the stick shack dwellers

Ohh by the way, I am told the next tsunami will be 108 metres above sea level.
I have steps leading to my flat roof area. 108 meters is fine. I keep telling those back in the US that I am planning on going out with Krakatoa. How many people would get a headline back in the Midwest, "Local Man Is Out Powered By krakatoa?" Famous in an elusive way for white guys.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back