Bali to provide free Japanese encephalitis vaccines for kids

dafluff

Cager
vaccination-1215279_1280.jpg

Japanese encephalitis (JE) is a disease carried by the Culex mosquito, and transfers from animals (pigs and birds) to humans. The disease causes inflammation of the brain, and symptoms include headache, vomiting, fever, confusion, and seizures. Case-fatality rates range from 0.3% to 60% and depend on the population and age, and about half of survivors will continue to suffer permanent problems. (Wikipedia)

As Bali is one of the few provinces in Indonesia with a large pig population, it was chosen as a pilot program for the vaccination in Indonesia. The program is spearheaded by the Ministry of Health, and targets kids from 9 months to 15 years old. In all, almost 1 million kids will be vaccinated.

Vaccinations will be administered in schools. Consent forms should be distributed soon, if not already (my daughter received hers last week). The program includes international schools. Beyond schools, vaccinations can be administered at local health clinics (Puskesmas). The bulk of the campaign will be in March and April 2018. Further, the ministry will also do follow up vaccination for those who were missed during the campaign.

Going forward, JE vaccination will be included in the vaccinations schedule for kids in Bali, and given at the age of 10 months.

Links (Bahasa Indonesia):
http://health.akurat.co/id-170837-read-menkes-canangkan-kampanye-imunisasi-japanese-encephalitis-di-provinsi-bali
http://www.balipost.com/news/2018/01/10/34018/Maret-April,Vaksinasi-JE-akan-Dilakukan...html

Our school has fone through a half dozen different vaccination programa this year; a good thing, I wonder where the drive is coming from? (And the money).

Mind you, they are also a pain in the ass. First time they contacted us in July and told us they were coming next week.

No consent forms, no organisation, no appreciation of the time or logistics to vaccinate 900+ students and never mind the disruption to the school day.... but the kicker was we had not started school, it was the summer holidays.

"Can't you just tell them all to come to school on the day?" Whined the official.

"No, come back in a month" was the reply.

So then our school was reported for being anti-vaccinations and we had a visit from higher ups in the education ministry....

*sigh*

That vaccine in the US is something like $800, I wonder where this funding is coming from and what their cost is?

That vaccine in the US is something like $800, I wonder where this funding is coming from and what their cost is?

Bill Gates donated $40 million dollars to The Indonesia Health Fund a few years ago.

Perhaps there was a time limit on the funds, they appear to be trying to use it all up before June.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back