Any Harm or Real Danger?

Sounds like running a business in Indonesia is a bad idea, even a small kos kosan or language school/courses could be threatened? Or is this only a regional phenomenon and many other regions are safe(r)?

I have only lived in Bali and Jakarta so can't comment on the rest of the regions, but I have seen and heard of similar things in both places including but not limited to bribes or payments to the police, mafia groups, religious groups, the tax office etc.... It varies of course, if you have a successful business that is well known and very public it will attract more "flies". I had a business for several years without any bribes or donations so it can be done, but it is easier if your business isn't very public.

Talking about owning a business; the threat comes as easily from the inside of course. A close family member knows his employees are stealing and gives them once in a while a scolding or bollocking when he catches them (again). According to him, cheaper than firing them and train new ones who will probably also steal [sic].

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back