Amazon Mturk

dafluff

Cager
https://www.mturk.com

For those who don't know, it is a site run by Amazon where you can sign up to do Human Intelligence Tasks (or HITs). A hit could be something really simple such as writing out a scanned-handwritten phone number, or something more complex such as transcribing a 2 hour long audio recording. The task requester sets up the task and sets the payment rate, and you can preview the task and do it. If the task is accepted, you get paid.

We had previously discussed this as an option for either emergency cash or a side job/hobby. So I tried to sign up sometime last May, but was rejected. However, a few days ago I received another e-mail saying that this time I was approved. So I logged in yesterday and tried a few HITs.

Without any special qualifications, and with 0 HITs completed in your name, the options are not great, especially with respect to pay. I was writing down addresses and phone numbers and such for a meager 2-5 cents per batch of 10. I think my hourly rate was barely $1,- so I made about the same as my gardener. But once you have more accepted HITs and maybe a qualification or two, you move up in the world. I found a few tasks that got my hourly rate to about $3.50 translating simple paragraphs.

Dan had much more experience in this, so maybe he can chime in with tips on how to increase your hourly rate, and what hourly rates are attainable.

The drawback is that unless you are from India or the US, you are only paid in Amazon.com gift cards. I don't know if you are allowed to sell these gift cards like say on Ebay and convert it into cash.

I think Dan said he was making $5-15 per hour.

Ok I've signed up- just for the gift vouchers I guess, it will buy me more ebooks :)
Who knows I might be able to get a new kindle out of it before my old one dies off completely :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nightclubs
Back