Alternatives to EMS??

harryopal

Charter Member
I wanted to send a letter to Australia and asked for registration at the post office, No registration and the alternative was EMS. It costs $24 for a simple letter.
For future reference I wonder if there are any effective but cheaper alternatives?

harryopal

Charter Member
Ya, Ms BA. but I was sending documents to a bank which would not accept this by email. Had to send original. Next suggestion?

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
It was a semi serious suggestion- as the world has dictated that electronic digital is the way to go.
Alternative snail mail methods are now becoming obsolete & therefore the prices are getting silly. Supply & demand at its best example I guess.
Legal documents are often accepted as scans will the bank accept that?

Davita

RIP
Charter Member
I'm also amazed at the cost of sending documents. Most financial institutions will not accept anything other than signed, and sometimes notarized documents. I just sent an urgent two page document by DHL to UK...cost Rp966,000....guaranteed delivery 3 days.
.My previous similar document was sent using IndoPos on 25 April and it wasn't received until 4 May and cost Rp42,130.....and tracking didn't work.
There has to be better and cheaper ways than either of the above options.

Asun

Indonesian Post has option to register a mail for a low cost. It still travels at regular airmail speed, and probably without tracking but that should be enough for legal purposes.

harryopal

Charter Member
Ms BA, I tried to argue with that bank that communication processes are changing. I pointed out that when biros first came in banks would not accept signatures written with a biro pen. But that argument fell on deaf ears. What makes the process particularly vexing is that my wife's account in Australia was "frozen" because when talking on Skype she could not instantly recall her account numbers and as the bank's website was having "computer issues" we could not open the site to get the required information. So we had to send a certified copy of my wife's passport signed by a local bank officer (and Indonesian bank officers are very unhappy about signing anything as it seems to suggest responsibility if something goes wrong). And we had to send a letter with all my wife's particulars, DOB account number and pleading with them to "unfreeze" the account. I understand that there are protocols for security reasons but a pain in the what not.

I went to two post offices and each said, "no registration". So my original questions still stands for a secure more economical way of sending mail.

Bad_azz

Charter Member
Cager
Ms BA, I tried to argue with that bank that communication processes are changing. I pointed out that when biros first came in banks would not accept signatures written with a biro pen. But that argument fell on deaf ears. What makes the process particularly vexing is that my wife's account in Australia was "frozen" because when talking on Skype she could not instantly recall her account numbers and as the bank's website was having "computer issues" we could not open the site to get the required information. So we had to send a certified copy of my wife's passport signed by a local bank officer (and Indonesian bank officers are very unhappy about signing anything as it seems to suggest responsibility if something goes wrong). And we had to send a letter with all my wife's particulars, DOB account number and pleading with them to "unfreeze" the account. I understand that there are protocols for security reasons but a pain in the what not.

I went to two post offices and each said, "no registration". So my original questions still stands for a secure more economical way of sending mail.
It is one of the things that irks me too. Just another way to stiff the customers.
What I have done with some things is hand them to friends who are travelling to said country & ask them to stick them in the post for me... would that be an option?
ooh... is the parcel rate cheaper than the postal rate? Maybe send it as a package.

harryopal

Charter Member
The question is to do with the future. I paid the $24 and the letter is on its way. So I was interested to see if there were alternatives should I need to send something in the future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonel999