AirBnB in Bali now coming available for rent...

cestpasmyjob

Interesting to see in Bali a flood of properties come on for monthly rent, all saying

"This property is usually rented on a daily basis, but during this period the owner has asked us to rent on a much-reduced monthly rate to help cover expenses"

I've used AirBnB twice for month-long bookings on Bali with both properties cancelling prior to arrival, the last one a mere 48 hours before I arrived. I'll revert to contacting properties directly either by email or knocking on their door when required from now on.

Airbnb really screwed over the hosts during the coronavirus situation - all guests got a 100% refund and hosts got nothing. Much more generous than the airlines. I guess they want guests to return to them in the future but many of the hosts will go bankrupt because of it (not that airbnb probably cares, all they are interested in is getting their IPO).

Bali is pretty damn quiet these days , but there are still quite a few surfers around wizzing around on scoots with their boards ,I dont understand why ,most of the main surfing beaches are officially closed . I would not fancy their chances in local hospitals if they catch the dreaded "lurgy" ,so i suppose for a couple of juta per months Air b and b might get some takers .

Airbnb really screwed over the hosts during the coronavirus situation - all guests got a 100% refund and hosts got nothing. Much more generous than the airlines. I guess they want guests to return to them in the future but many of the hosts will go bankrupt because of it (not that airbnb probably cares, all they are interested in is getting their IPO).

In the past couple days they have announced some payments for hosts with cancellations. They will get 25% of what their cancellation policy would have paid them. So if you had a $800 booking and your cancellation policy states you give 50% refund, AirBnB will be giving you $100 for that booking and cancellation. Still a very guest-favoring position. It's a start, but unlikely to save anyone from foreclosure on a rental property.

Last edited:
Yes I just saw that. I think that's a pretty generous solution. I have the strictest policy on mine so at least I'll get something back. They probably did it after being threatened with a lawsuit though!

thought the host could just mothball the place for a while to reduce costs. If they are on the hook for big mortgage payments, well, that’s always a risk if you borrow money

Yes true. In the European city where my place is loads of bigger players have entered the market recently, probably with a lot of debt and teams of people to pay. If they are shut down then I won't be complaining! After all the point of airbnb was for individuals to rent out their spaces when they are not there, as I do, not for companies to run businesses with dozens of apartments for rent.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back