After 6 months....what to expect.

jstar

Mr. 10,000
So we left a house (semi) unattended for a longer period.

With an anxious expectation we returned 'home' and I was regrettably not surprised by what we found. This climate simply is too harsh to leave anything unused.

Hereby a little anthology:

• To my surprise not all the plants died. Not so much because of the drip system I installed (which didn't work anyway because of water and power issues) but because the rainy season never really stopped. (Probably because it's an el Niña year?)
  • There is a black dust covering everything; obviously we covered all furniture with sheets and rags but wall items and picture frames and even the bare walls are covered; the dust is also very sticky, not dry.
  • Four doors could not be opened; the lock systems were stuck so they have to be forcefully removed. WD40 didn't help. Esp. The bathroom doors with the simple push lock system were affected.
  • All chrome items like water taps but even 'stainless' steel like a sink are rusty and/or have black spots. More expensive ones like Toto and Grohe are in better shape than Wasser but even some of them can not be moved anymore because of the calcium.
  • Some machines like two water pumps and a coffee machine and microwave have died; luckily the pumps could be restarted after cleaning and pushing the diffusor.
  • Everything textile has fungus and needs to be washed. Of course we have odeur bags like lavender and even use those disgusting kamp(f)er balls but that doesn't help.
  • The worst: Bathroom wall cabinets and wash stands are eaten away by rayap (termites). This is so bad they drop of the wall. The whole backs are gone. Kudos to Ikea, a simple Hemnes cabinet in a guest bathroom is not affected.
Bali is next, I expect more or less the same.

Last edited:

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
Did you get a rat invasion we did, plus the wood skirting board was sort of nibbled away with termites, a tropical climate isn't too friendly, continuous maintenance is required

dafluff

Cager
When we left a property empty for a few months, we found tons of dead cockroaches everywhere when we came back. We suspect they died of starvation.

Scooterindo

Charter Member
Cager
Hence when I leave to work away for extended periods I still have the maid come in daily

jstar

Mr. 10,000
Luckily no rat or cockroach invasion, but these do help:

But our case could be similar to Dafluff; I am hyper sensitive to keeping everything free of stuff that attracts rodents and roaches and ants. And I keep on telling staff not to rince plates with food in the sink and to throw away cooking water etc. in the toilet. I feel it does help; much less infestations (besides the rayap of course).

jstar

Mr. 10,000
How long is a "long period"?
In our case 6 months; we did 3 months USA and 3 months Europe. Obviously the pets were taken care of and we had people checking (power and security for instance) but not really anybody regularly cleaning or living here.

First Media can be 'put on hold' and re-activated within the hour. Unlike many other countries, there is no seasonality to be concerned about. (Using a heater keeping all the pipes defrosted for instance.) And we don't have flooding here, quite exceptional. A bit annoying is covering the monthly meter capture of water and electricity. (I don't like it too much to hang papers on the fence.)

I just found out the aircon in one of the bedrooms doesn't work properly and it seems a circuit issue. And two toilet mechanisms are also not functioning as they should but that's the least of my worries.

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Yes, six months or so is kind of what I was suspecting. Fortunately, our house is strategically located not far from a majority of the immediate family. My wife's youngest sister and her husband are living there charged with the responsibility to quickly fix anything that needs fixing (we cover the cost). Earlier this summer, when we made our bi-annual visit, everything was in good shape for the most part. Spend a couple of weeks fixing a few peripheral items -- shower drain in a guest bath, fibreglass tub crack, leaky sink faucet, and a badminton court light or two. With a bit more time and ambition, I probably would have refinished the floors, as well -- next trip in a couple of years, maybe. (That is to say, I would have had them refinished.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellmer
Top Bottom