Adopting a child

OomBen

Charter Member
Cager
Hi everyone!

So my wife and I are a mixed couple. She's Indonesian, I'm American. We have a child who's both (I'm jealous).

Anyways, we stopped by yayasan sayap Ibu in Jakarta near Blok M about two years ago to seek some information. We didn't really get much other than the whole "you can only adopt kids that are of the same religion as you and you can't adopt kids older than 5 years old". We were just visiting and just pondering if adopting is what we wanted to do.

Fast forward to today and sure, yes we'd like to adopt and in a position to do so. The problem is that we are having a very difficult time contacting anyone who runs the orphanages for adoption. We get directed to one number and nobody ever answers the calls.

If anyone has any suggestions on who to contact, that'd be wonderful. If you've gone through this and would like to share your experience, that'd be nice.

Thanks.

Throw down some money and clout and you will suddenly get doors opened up to you. Sad this is also the case when you want to adopt an orphan, and this happens all over, but I'm appalled religion was the first caveat.

Hi everyone!

So my wife and I are a mixed couple. She's Indonesian, I'm American. We have a child who's both (I'm jealous).

Anyways, we stopped by yayasan sayap Ibu in Jakarta near Blok M about two years ago to seek some information. We didn't really get much other than the whole "you can only adopt kids that are of the same religion as you and you can't adopt kids older than 5 years old". We were just visiting and just pondering if adopting is what we wanted to do.

Fast forward to today and sure, yes we'd like to adopt and in a position to do so. The problem is that we are having a very difficult time contacting anyone who runs the orphanages for adoption. We get directed to one number and nobody ever answers the calls.

If anyone has any suggestions on who to contact, that'd be wonderful. If you've gone through this and would like to share your experience, that'd be nice.

Thanks.

Good on you for considering adoption!

But, contact with an orphanage that actually has their shit together? If you were in Bali I could recommend a top-notch one, but unfortunately, you are not.

Anyway, a proper orphanage will have a very lengthy procedure, which should include multiple visits by the parents where the orphanage will observe you, and also allow the child to bond with you. It goes far beyond "the kid has to be the same religion".

Good on you for considering adoption!

But, contact with an orphanage that actually has their shit together? If you were in Bali I could recommend a top-notch one, but unfortunately, you are not.

Anyway, a proper orphanage will have a very lengthy procedure, which should include multiple visits by the parents where the orphanage will observe you, and also allow the child to bond with you. It goes far beyond "the kid has to be the same religion".
We have some family here who adopted a child from Papua.

I don't mind having to travel to Bali, not like it's a horrible place to visit. I'll take any leads at this.

Our assumption is that we need to go through this Yayasan Sayap Ibu as they're the ones authorized in the area to do social visits. But, what the hell do I know? 😅

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819