A lot of rental housing for offer I find only has 1500W electricity is this normal

vocalneal

Cager
That is not enough for a decent microwave plus TV let alone AC. Can any property be upgraded?

Found some with 2200W even that is only 9 amps. Won't power anything

Last edited:

Smallworld

Charter Member
Cager
This is normal. Many Indonesians doesn't have microwave, ac, fridge and washing machine.
No fridge - they buy daily fresh products
No microwave - they have stove
No ac - they open windows and door to create draft or have some electric fan.
No washing machine - clothes are hand washed by maid

It can be upgraded only if PLN say it is possible.

nd_eric_77

Charter Member
Cager
That is not enough for a decent microwave plus TV let alone AC. Can any property be upgraded?

Found some with 2200W even that is only 9 amps. Won't power anything
Where are you looking? These seem unreasonably low for anywhere in DKI Jakarta, but I could imagine them out in "kampung".

William King

Charter Member
Cager
Be aware that the higher your power, the higher the power pricing bracket you will be placed in.

So you will be charged more, even if you only use a small amount.

I once enquired and was quoted 8 Million to 'step up' the power in the house I was in.

El_Goretto

Cager
Depends on the house size too.

The more watts the more expensive the kWh rate is.

We have 5500 watts in a 300m2 with fridge, oven, washing machine and 6 AC. Of course we can't run them all at the same time.

Obviously the fridge is always on and we run 4 AC at the same time (one is 2PK the others are 1 or 1.5PK). If I need to run the oven, the number of AC on drops to 1 or two.

R Cameron

Charter Member
Cager
Be aware that the higher your power, the higher the power pricing bracket you will be placed in.
That is only half-true, there is a subsidized rate for low-income families, but it's only available at 450 and 900w power ratings. Above that, the price per kwh is the same: http://listrik.org/pln/tarif-dasar-listrik-pln/

If a household has an electric water heater, electric tea kettle, electric oven, microwave, washing machine, and multiple ACs there will always be some juggling involved, even at 5500kwh.

I would first calculate the maximum wattage I would be likely to pull from my ACs. Maybe you have 5 but you never use more than 3 at a time. Then I would make sure my electrical supply is at least 1.75x that amount. So if you have 3 ACs that are 1pk (mine says 590w) that's 1770w, so *1.75, look for at least 3100w supply.

Use gas for heating water and a gas oven. A washing machine and microwave may not be able to be used at the same time (with the ACs on), but that should be easy enough to avoid.

Anglian

Charter Member
Cager
You can get it upgraded illegally, cost you a 10,000,000 Rp fine if PLN figure it out

Last edited:

dafluff

Cager
1500W is on the low end for residential. Normal (not subsidized) residential power also comes in 2200W, 3500W, 5500W and 7700W. There is an upgrade fee, but sometimes PLN runs promos where this is discounted or even waived.

vocalneal

Cager
Gas water heater had slipped my mind. Cheers. Here in Bkk mine is 6000kW! Not that is uses that as it is automatic but.

vocalneal

Cager
Rabbit,

Sorry it wasn't my intention to get others to do my Googling. Many thanks

rabbit_39

Charter Member
Cager
Rabbit,

Sorry it wasn't my intention to get others to do my Googling. Many thanks
No, no, this is very recent news that PLN is going to get away with the various levels of subscribed power for the unsubsidized rates. Which means from 900 Watts (if you don't fall under the poverty line) through 6,600 watts (I think) will all be treated the same and you'll have the same upper limit of 6,600 watts (I think).

Yes, prepaid all have the same rates now, this is one of the reasons. But if you're post paid, you usually have a minimum monthly charge (40 x subscribed power x rate applied). So this minimum monthly charge may go up, this will affect someone like me who don't use a lot of electricity. But I'm on prepaid.

PLN has too much power in Java and they want you to consume more (buy more ACs)

waarmstrong

Charter Member
Cager
Production over capacity in Java may be the case, but the transformer in our area is at least 20 percent over subscribed. Near impossible to get a residential upgrade.

Jaime C

Charter Member
Cager
Our first small apartment in South Jakarta was only 900 watts. You had to call the complex staff if your breaker blew. We had an 800 watt microwave. If you turned everything off, it was usually fine. Usually...

Sometimes after a couple of minutes of working, it would still pop the breaker.

In Bandung, I think we have 2.2 kw. Hardly ever pop the breaker, but of course we don’t have any AC units.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Activity

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellmer
Top Bottom