A Friend of Mine is Moving to Jakarta to Teach English

Joko

Charter Member
Cager
He's an English teacher, like me. He has neither a university degree in English nor in teaching (he has one in film). He has three years teaching experience.

From everything I've heard over the last few years, this would make him entirely ineligible for getting a work permit. Yet, he's got a job with one of the big, multi-national English teaching franchises. I won't say which one, but it's not Exploited First... errr... English First. They rhyme with Stall Wheat. When I questioned him on this, he said he'd been told the laws had recently changed.

Have they?

I like this guy, and I hope he's not getting himself into a bad situation.

He's moving there with his Cambodian girlfriend, and I've seen the looks they get here in Myanmar, where the locals automatically assume she's Burmese...

Law changed to make it easier for foreign nationals to legally work in Indonesia, especially related to teaching and specifically teaching English? Not that I have heard and it is simply not in line with the demeanor of the country these days. To my thinking there is a 99.9% chance you friend has been lied to.

& I'll chip in the other 0.1 %

Someone is stiffing your friend here- either the employers have some kind of backhander deal going on that they can process visas & IMTAs by paying bribes or they are going to have your friend popping in & out on visitor visas & working illegally, which leaves your friend at risk of being detained/fined/deported & all that gubbins... I am really surprised that Stall Wheat have done this- they seem to be quite stringent in their guidelines for job applicants re the required essential quals etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back