5 year sim

Euc-

Charter Member
Cager
I've been hearing reports from colleague's that they were automatically issued a 5 year SIM at their latest renewal while on KITAS. At first I thought it must just be an isolated case but so far there have been 4 guys with the same story and the license to prove it.

Some used an agent, some did it themselves, all of them were already in possession of a (about to expire but) valid Indonesian driving license.

Has anyone heard anything about a regulation change?

Considering that 18 months seem not to have been enough for the admins of the old forum to fix the numerous glitches it was plagued with, affecting readers and users, here is a paste of the relevant articles of Law:

Pasal 85 UU 22/2009

(1) Surat Izin Mengemudi berbentuk kartu elektronik atau bentuk lain.
(2) Surat Izin Mengemudi berlaku selama 5 (lima) tahun dan dapat diperpanjang.
(3) Surat Izin Mengemudi sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) berlaku di seluruh wilayah Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia.
(4) Dalam hal terdapat perjanjian bilateral atau multilateral antara Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia dan negara lain, Surat Izin Mengemudi yang diterbitkan di Indonesia dapat pula berlaku di negara lain dan Surat Izin Mengemudi yang diterbitkan oleh negara lain berlaku di Indonesia.
(5) Pemegang Surat Izin Mengemudi sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (4) dapat memperoleh Surat Izin Mengemudi internasional yang diterbitkan oleh Kepolisian Negara Republik Indonesia.

Pasal 6 Peraturan Kapolri nomor 9 tahun 2012
Warga Negara Asing yang berada di Indonesia dapat mengajukan penerbitan SIM kepada Satpas sesuai dengan ketentuan dalam peraturan ini.

Pasal 11 Peraturan Kapolri nomor 9 tahun 2012
(1) SIM yang diterbitkan oleh Satpas di Indonesia berlaku selama 5 (lima) tahun dan dapat diperpanjang.
(2) SIM Internasional diterbitkan oleh Polri dan berlaku 3 (tiga) tahun serta dapat diperpanjang.

You would find no VALID peraturan/UU mentionning SIM being only valid for 1 year for foreign resident.

Hi Euc,

Glad to read your post and to see that, at last, law is respected.

For info, here is what I was writing in 2013, soon after that Peraturan Kapolri no 9/2012 took force: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.o...32447-5-year-sim-problems?p=486346#post486346

The one year SIM was a bizarre survivor of the old LLAJ Law but should have been ended. Any SIM for foreign resident should be issued for 5 years.

I actually remember reading that, and I believe (I haven't read through the link) you offered assistance to anyone at the time willing to try to get the 5 year one on a KITAS, not sure if anyone was successful at the time?

Hopefully this will now be a permanent change then.

I actually remember reading that, and I believe (I haven't read through the link) you offered assistance to anyone at the time willing to try to get the 5 year one on a KITAS, not sure if anyone was successful at the time?
I reckon I haven't re-read the link too but believe you may be true. Unfortunately no-one took up my offer at the time.

I have however no doubt that we would have succeeded.

As you rightly wrote some time ago in a post on a similar topic, not all is doom and gloom with the cops. When you know your rights and let it be known without overdoing it, police officers rarely f*** with you, especially if it is a trivial matter. They don't want to show too obviously that they don't know much of the laws and the guidelines set by the big bosses.

I reckon I haven't re-read the link too but believe you may be true. Unfortunately no-one took up my offer at the time.

I have however no doubt that we would have succeeded.

As you rightly wrote some time ago in a post on a similar topic, not all is doom and gloom with the cops. When you know your rights and let it be known without overdoing it, police officers rarely f*** with you, especially if it is a trivial matter. They don't want to show too obviously that they don't know much of the laws and the guidelines set by the big bosses.
Had a run in with a customs officer landing in suarabaya early Jan18. Had 15 mechanical/industrial gloves, declared sample. Kept saying theres no exemption for commercial samples and so on so forth. After 15 mins, I said look at my passport, I have 4 kitas here, i been bringing samples every time and i know its not taxable.
He looked at his mate, backed down and let me pass.

5 years... hmm anyone got contact to do a SIM that they had a good experience with, an agent or something? English not required. PM me. I wouldn't mind a sim if its so long.

Does the SIM HAVE to be done at the local place or can someone get a SIM in , say Jakarta, but be living/registered address in Bandung- such as lil old me who has an ongoing hate hate relationship with POLRES for my area- they try to shaft me at every turn.

Does the SIM HAVE to be done at the local place or can someone get a SIM in , say Jakarta, but be living/registered address in Bandung- such as lil old me who has an ongoing hate hate relationship with POLRES for my area- they try to shaft me at every turn.

As far as I am aware yes, I have tried renewing a Bali license in Surabaya as well as a Jakarta license in Bandung, no dice.

I do remember reading that with the "SIM Online" this is supposed to stop and you can renew anywhere, but I believe that licenses for foreigners are not "SIM Online" so it's useless for us.

Last December I renew my 1year Sim on KITAP and prepare the regulation base on the Polantas Jakarta facebook indicating Kitap holder should have 5 years SIM. I was amazed that the the officer at the foto booth told me that since I have KITAP he will issue 5 years sim but not Kitas. Even thou my Kitap will expire next year. So KITAS with 5 years is more unlikely unless the usual under the table option. As Kitas only last 1 year. If they look carefully the expire date of the Sim should follow the expire of the KITAS/KITAP.

Considering that 18 months seem not to have been enough for the admins of the old forum to fix the numerous glitches it was plagued with, affecting readers and users, here is a paste of the relevant articles of Law:

Pasal 85 UU 22/2009

(1) Surat Izin Mengemudi berbentuk kartu elektronik atau bentuk lain.
(2) Surat Izin Mengemudi berlaku selama 5 (lima) tahun dan dapat diperpanjang.
(3) Surat Izin Mengemudi sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) berlaku di seluruh wilayah Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia.
(4) Dalam hal terdapat perjanjian bilateral atau multilateral antara Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia dan negara lain, Surat Izin Mengemudi yang diterbitkan di Indonesia dapat pula berlaku di negara lain dan Surat Izin Mengemudi yang diterbitkan oleh negara lain berlaku di Indonesia.
(5) Pemegang Surat Izin Mengemudi sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (4) dapat memperoleh Surat Izin Mengemudi internasional yang diterbitkan oleh Kepolisian Negara Republik Indonesia.

Pasal 6 Peraturan Kapolri nomor 9 tahun 2012
Warga Negara Asing yang berada di Indonesia dapat mengajukan penerbitan SIM kepada Satpas sesuai dengan ketentuan dalam peraturan ini.

Pasal 11 Peraturan Kapolri nomor 9 tahun 2012
(1) SIM yang diterbitkan oleh Satpas di Indonesia berlaku selama 5 (lima) tahun dan dapat diperpanjang.
(2) SIM Internasional diterbitkan oleh Polri dan berlaku 3 (tiga) tahun serta dapat diperpanjang.

You would find no VALID peraturan/UU mentionning SIM being only valid for 1 year for foreign resident.

Very interesting to know the actual law behind it, I wasn't aware of it before! I also know of at least 2 people who renewed their SIM this year who got 5 years even though visa expires end of the year.
Thanks!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats