2nd hand watch shops in Jakarta

At the same time it is a good motivator to stay in shape ;)

hahaha...and another good reason to never spend $5000 on a suit.
Haven't worn a suit in over 20 years and those I had were given to charities. However, I do keep a cheap dark jacket for funerals...especially my own...:rip:

US$5000 buys 2,640 bottles of Bintang in my pub...at my rate of beer imbibe that equates to over 5 years of free booze....

Last edited:
Some USD counterfeit bills are passing the 'feel' test, because the material is real! They take a $1 bill, wash all the ink out of it, then print a $100 design on it. It feels real because it is a real dollar, just with the wrong value.

that kinda supports an argument for different sized notes, the smaller being $1 as used in UK - but I dunno if that is the case now

there is more than just the feel- for example the ink on UK paper money never dries- want to check a fiver- rub it on some whit paper, it will leave a trail.

I have a Seiko Solar, had it two years and it keeps perfect time, no battery, no wind up, just daylight.
It doesn't have anything fancy just tells time and date
My wife has one of those. Works ok unless she keeps it in the jewelry box for extended periods.

She's had it for 6 years. I'm pretty sure it does have a battery inside, just that the solar charges it up.

My wife has one of those. Works ok unless she keeps it in the jewelry box for extended periods.

She's had it for 6 years. I'm pretty sure it does have a battery inside, just that the solar charges it up.

Not a battery but a capacitor, technically different but they both store energy, just in different ways and with capacitors generally lasting longer, having a longer lifespan and are quicker to recharge. Negative is that they are more expensive should they eventually break.

Not a battery but a capacitor, technically different but they both store energy, just in different ways and with capacitors generally lasting longer, having a longer lifespan and are quicker to recharge. Negative is that they are more expensive should they eventually break.

Yes, I have a Citizen eco-drive which is the same and I bought a Bulova, when I was in Jakarta. The Bulova works through movement or I can wind it. It will stop if I don't wear it.

I heard about Bulova since I was a kid but never bought one. I don't think it is exactly "high end" but it looks nice and is a nice watch. I used to mainly wear a cheap Pulsar and joked with my wife that I had a Pusar.

Last edited:
that kinda supports an argument for different sized notes, the smaller being $1 as used in UK - but I dunno if that is the case now

there is more than just the feel- for example the ink on UK paper money never dries- want to check a fiver- rub it on some whit paper, it will leave a trail.
Yes, I have a Citizen eco-drive which is the same and I bought a Bulova, when I was in Jakarta. The Bulova works through movement or I can wind it. It will stop if I don't wear it.

I heard about Bulova since I was a kid but never bought one. I don't think it is exactly "high end" but it looks nice and is a nice watch. I used to mainly wear a cheap Pulsar and joked with my wife that I had a Pusar.
Bulova was manufactured in USA until the 60's, then they moved their factory to Switzerland. Around 2008 Citizen bought Bulova, so now they have watches with Swiss as well as Japan movement.

It is not a luxury watch, but it is definitely a quality manufacturer. IMHO it's one of the brands that offer the best bang for your buck.

Other manufacturers that give good value for the price (automatic watches):
- Hamilton (Swiss)
- Victorinox (Swiss)
- Tissot (Swiss)
- Seiko (Japan)
- Orient (Japan)

These can be had for under $500. Most of them would pass COSC certification if they submit for it, as in my experience most of them run between -4 to +6 seconds a day. They simply don't bother getting certified, because it adds to the cost.

All Rolex watches are certified, and that's part of the reason you're paying more. They have an internal standard of -2/+2 seconds. My humble Victorinox is about +1.5 seconds a day, so it is as accurate as a Rolex for less than 1/10 of the MSRP. By street price it's less than 1/20 of the price.

Here's the interesting part: all these midrange swiss watches basically use the same movement (mechanism): the ETA 2800 series. If my watch is as accurate as a Rolex, your Bulova is probably just as accurate, as it uses the same movement.

Bulova was manufactured in USA until the 60's, then they moved their factory to Switzerland. Around 2008 Citizen bought Bulova, so now they have watches with Swiss as well as Japan movement.

It is not a luxury watch, but it is definitely a quality manufacturer. IMHO it's one of the brands that offer the best bang for your buck.

Here's the interesting part: all these midrange swiss watches basically use the same movement (mechanism): the ETA 2800 series. If my watch is as accurate as a Rolex, your Bulova is probably just as accurate, as it uses the same movement.

Yes I am very satisfied with the Citizen Eco Drive and Bulova. They are both very nice watches. I also still like my Pulsar.

Really don't know why anyone living in Jakarta needs an accurate watch....nobody is ever on time... and not by seconds and minutes....many hours!

Really don't know why anyone living in Jakarta needs an accurate watch....nobody is ever on time... and not by seconds and minutes....many hours!

I just like to know what day it is so I can spend my pension

I don't know why anyone needs a watch at all- most of us have a phone if we really need to check the time & if the loss or gain of 1 or 2 seconds a day is important to anyone, & I don't care who they are- they have lost the plot and need to get a life.

My opinion of Rolex watches: expensive stuff that looks like cheap trinkets. I'd rather have a Swatch.

I don't know why anyone needs a watch at all- most of us have a phone if we really need to check the time & if the loss or gain of 1 or 2 seconds a day is important to anyone, & I don't care who they are- they have lost the plot and need to get a life.

My opinion of Rolex watches: expensive stuff that looks like cheap trinkets. I'd rather have a Swatch.

Look at it as functional jewelry. It’s one the few accessories generally accepted for men.

Same as for women: they don’t need earrings at all, but if they chose to wear some they can choose from a cheap one dollar pair all the way up to a multimillion diamond studded pair from Tiffany.

I'm not big on jewelry either, allergic to most metals so the only thing I wear is some gold hoop earrings. & that's mainly that I have worn them for so long that I feel odd without them.
I don't do cosmetics or fashion either- I kinda lost that need to paint up & display about 20 years ago :D
Yet FB insists on showing me ads for baby stuff, jewellery & makeup, ads for how to have the perfect eyebrow shape: :deadhorse:

I used to think this way. For the longest time I didn't wear a watch and relied solely on my phone.

However, I'm going back to wearing a watch because:
- In a meeting it's not polite to check my cell phone, but it's ok to glance at my watch
- My watch is waterproof to 100m, while my phone probably survives getting wet a little.
- I can quickly check time while my hands are full. A cell phone needs one free hand.
- I'm actually training myself to not be on my phone all the time. I pull the phone out just to check the time, but before I know it I'd be checking emails, browsing, etc. Not good.

I own at least three Swatch Skins, roughly $100 a piece. Because they're plastic, they look beat up after just a year of use. The crystal and the case are all plastic, so they get scratched up. My current 'beater' watch is a Victorinox with a sapphire crystal and heavy stainless steel case, costing about three Swatches. Only diamond is harder than synthetic sapphire, so it's not gonna scratch.

I actually agree that Swatch offers the best value for money. Swatch is a big company that owns many brands, all of them offer good bang for the buck. Hamilton and Tissot are Swatch brands, priced 2-3 times their plastic sisters but far more durable due to their sapphire and steel construction. Their luxury line, Omega, is every bit as good as any Rolex, yet still costing far less. This is a performance watch worn by Prince William, as well as many SAS soldiers. Oh, and James Bond too.

The -2/+2 seconds accuracy is only important when you consider the price of a Rolex. For a $60 Seiko 5, nobody cares if it's off a little. But, when you pay $8000 for a watch, that thing better perform.

Last edited:
If you want a nice watch then enjoy. If you want and can afford a nice car, then enjoy. If a person is always trying to prove their worth by what they have, and do, they will never feel worthy. Some of the most insecure people are the very "brand' conscious. The best someone can do is to layer over their insecurity and inadequacies with things. But in and of themselves there is nothing wrong with having some things.

Anticlimax of anticlimaxes: found out that actually Tokopedia and Shopee are pretty decent channels for both new and 2nd hand watches. Also Jamtangan for new ones (great discounts but need to keep coming back to check if "the right ones" are with cheap prices).

Heck, now even back to my old habits and bidding at eBay for some SKXs from The Philippines...

Edit: And yes, these "why use watch when there is a clock in cellphone" - well engineer in me keeps admiring the mechanical watches and their details. Is only a nice bonus that you can also see time!

Many jewellery and watch stores offer trade-ins and second hand watches. For instance in Pasar Baru and even a Mal Kelapa Gading.

The big problem is the paperwork. I never saw a shop here that had the original box and warranty papers. So then you take a risk. But for Rolex you can go to the Rolex service center in Sudirman. Now they refuse to make a statement of authenticity but if you bring the watch in for service, they will open it and tell you if they are willing to do that (I.e. whether it's a fake or not).

In Singapore, the mall opposite of the Chinatown MRT station, you can find shops that are even specialized on Rolex and Omega. But the problem, esp. with Cartier and Rolex, is that parts can be replaced and not be original anymore. That decreases the value considerably. If that happens with a bezel, you easily pay $2.000 to fix your nice Submariner. Even worse with a bracelet.

The cheapest watches can be found in Hong Kong and Tokyo but here again; the fact they were sold there new, already makes them somewhat iffy for many collectors and certain parts can be replaced.

I do think for high end watches it's better to look at Chrono24 or so.

Many jewellery and watch stores offer trade-ins and second hand watches. For instance in Pasar Baru and even a Mal Kelapa Gading.

The big problem is the paperwork. I never saw a shop here that had the original box and warranty papers. So then you take a risk. But for Rolex you can go to the Rolex service center in Sudirman. Now they refuse to make a statement of authenticity but if you bring the watch in for service, they will open it and tell you if they are willing to do that (I.e. whether it's a fake or not).

In Singapore, the mall opposite of the Chinatown MRT station, you can find shops that are even specialized on Rolex and Omega. But the problem, esp. with Cartier and Rolex, is that parts can be replaced and not be original anymore. That decreases the value considerably. If that happens with a bezel, you easily pay $2.000 to fix your nice Submariner. Even worse with a bracelet.

The cheapest watches can be found in Hong Kong and Tokyo but here again; the fact they were sold there new, already makes them somewhat iffy for many collectors and certain parts can be replaced.

I do think for high end watches it's better to look at Chrono24 or so.

Sorry but nope, unless we are talking about specific i.e. vintage Rolex pieces (which in good condition and with full boxes/papers are usually going by auction or private sales), most relatively new watches come with original boxes and full paperwork if you buy from reputed resellers.

In Singapore there are some sellers in Far East Plaza, KL there are a dozen of so in Berjaya Times Square, mostly on the highest floors, think they start at level 4 or 5. In Jakarta as mentioned in my earlier post Blok M Plaza is the place to be. Most of these guys have been around for many years and have a reputation to uphold, if they would start selling dubious watches or even fakes they'd be out of business pretty quickly, losing their livelihoods.

In my experiences with sellers in Indonesia, when there is something "wrong" with the watch, as in not the correct year bracelet, replacement bezel etc, this will be mentioned and reflected in the price. With wrong I do not mean that there are fake watches or parts, but for example if a watch has been serviced and a newer model bezel has been put on it etc, purists won't accept that, 90% of the other people wouldn't even really understand or care.

Chrono24? Only if you want to pay at least a 20% mark-up. IMHO the prices on there are not the real market prices. Just browse the sales sections of timezone, uhrforum, watchuseek etc and see the asking prices to get a real indication of what watches are going for.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back