28 y.o. woman need a job

cosmicgirl

Hi, Im 28 y.o. currently located in Ciumbuleuit area.. (Bandung)
Im looking for a job
I have diploma in pattern drafter specialized childrens wear, I had been working about 4 years in fashion retail, being in design team. But I guess I had enought of it.. Its not that Im getting bored but maybe I dont feel like belong in the industry.
when I was graduated from high school I wanted to be a pastry chef but my parents refused to pay for the education and I went to fashion school instead.
now I wonder if anyone will hire me to work in the kitchen or as waitress?

when I was graduated from high school I wanted to be a pastry chef but my parents refused to pay for the education and I went to fashion school instead.

Guess what, I paid for my own education too. I never expected my parents to pay beyond my high-school

Guess what, I paid for my own education too. I never expected my parents to pay beyond my high-school

That's admirable, WK - my husband also paid for his entire post-secondary education via scholarships, loans, and jobs he held while attending school.

But, depending on one's circumstances, temperament, chosen field, etc., that can be really tough. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect relatives to help with educational costs if they are in a position to do so.

I for one would have probably flunked out if I'd had to hold a job on top of my studies (lucky for me, my grandmother paid my tuition).

What was this thread about again? Oh, I remember, searching for a job in a field matching your own passions rather those of your parents. Sorry, we are Stateside at the moment, and cannot help, but good luck following your dreams.

when I was graduated from high school I wanted to be a pastry chef

I have a mate who is a pastry chef. he now runs his own bakery company https://www.folies.net/

Have you done anything to do with pastry since you started your dressmaking studies. If pastry chef is your dream then you should do one thing everyday no matter how small to achieve that goal.

Which Indonesian hotels/restaurants offer internships or ...?
Which is the best school for learning how to be a pastry chef?

Have you spoken/contacted to Holland Bakery?
Make your own bread and sell locally? If there are any restaurants nearby?
Go to all big Bandung hotels and have a chat with their patry chef or chef. there maybe one helpfull one?

Well I guess the comments about "my parents did not want to pay for" - is quite irrelevant to mention in your job search.. and probably in most casing just "damaging" your changes.. I would suggest you leave that out in the future, but just mention your passion instead.. This is more a less a "bule forum" - and I believe most "bules" prefer that candidates somehow manage by themselves, and not rely on "family donations/approvals/sponsor ships" when they want to achieve something....

Don't presume to speak for bules. Family support is a norm across both the Western and Eastern world in my experience. I do agree that blaming parents for a lack of culinary skills is better left unsaid when interviewing for jobs.

unfortunately not, I guess I will be staying here while Im trying to find out how to pursue my education to be a real pastry chef
Thanks for your answer.

I have a few friends who are complaining of the lack of passion and willingness to be trained of their employees. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to send me a resume. I will transmit it to them. It is certainly not a guarantee for you to have a job, but it may be worth a try.
Cheers,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a few friends who are complaining of the lack of passion and willingness to be trained of their employees. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to send me a resume. I will transmit it to them. It is certainly not a guarantee for you to have a job, but it may be worth a try.
Cheers,

no actually Im thank you Atlantis,
where is the location exactly? all I afraid actually is the living cost will be high

I have a mate who is a pastry chef. he now runs his own bakery company https://www.folies.net/

Have you done anything to do with pastry since you started your dressmaking studies. If pastry chef is your dream then you should do one thing everyday no matter how small to achieve that goal.

Which Indonesian hotels/restaurants offer internships or ...?
Which is the best school for learning how to be a pastry chef?

Have you spoken/contacted to Holland Bakery?
Make your own bread and sell locally? If there are any restaurants nearby?
Go to all big Bandung hotels and have a chat with their patry chef or chef. there maybe one helpfull one?

I checked the website thats pretty awesome bakery company!

actually I used to bake in my spare time, and even when I was working 8-5 in the office, some of my friends bought my cookies on Eid, and my boss like my chocolate cake, she bought some too..

unfortunately I have family issues that made moved to Bandung and stay here in the dorm house that belong to my brother, my mom take care the house here and she doesnt allow me to bake so much because the mixer is too noisy and she warn me she will kick me out if the students complaining or move to another kos kosan because of my mixer...

I dont think there is Indonesian hotels, restaurants or such that offer internships or training.. because we have too much people who willing to work for mostly any job (maybe?)
but I do find they do that thing in Australia... they have quite many offer for training as a pastry chef.. I tried to apply for working holiday visa to Aussie but not sure if they will granted the visa.. since the requirement is the passport have to at least 18 months from the expired date, mine is 16, and I input the new random expired date when I registered my whv visa last Tuesday while Im renew my passport... I dont know if that will work out, if they do the validating my documents...................

there are many good culinary schools here but Im afraid I could never afford to get in there.. pursue education is not an easy thing when Im not that brilliant, genius or so.....

no I havent contacted Holland Bakery, but I did apply for a pastry chef over the jobstreet but havent heard anything from them, Im aware my chance is pretty slim
and I dont know any real chefs at all...

I used to bake and sell locally in Jakarta but my parents house is not ideal to live in or built a small bussines such a bakery, the ventilation is pretty bad there since the renovation..
I cant really bake my own bread here in the dorm house here in Bandung.
I guess my major issues is the money thats why

thats my story.

Well I guess the comments about "my parents did not want to pay for" - is quite irrelevant to mention in your job search.. and probably in most casing just "damaging" your changes.. I would suggest you leave that out in the future, but just mention your passion instead.. This is more a less a "bule forum" - and I believe most "bules" prefer that candidates somehow manage by themselves, and not rely on "family donations/approvals/sponsor ships" when they want to achieve something....[/QUOTE
thank you for telling me that, I wouldnt aware if you didnt point that out

Last edited:
where is the location exactly? all I afraid actually is the living cost will be high
Sulawesi Utara, 3 hours flight from JKT.
Cost of living is indeed higher than most part of Indonesia with food easily costing 20% or more than in Jawa. As a point of reference, UMP is at Rp 2.825.000 (It has been almost times by two in just 5 years) and is the third highest of Indonesia after DKI Jakarta and Papua.

Good people we are. We talk funny so adapting to our language will clearly be a necessity,

Sulawesi Utara, 3 hours flight from JKT.
Cost of living is indeed higher than most part of Indonesia with food easily costing 20% or more than in Jawa. As a point of reference, UMP is at Rp 2.825.000 (It has been almost times by two in just 5 years) and is the third highest of Indonesia after DKI Jakarta and Papua.

Good people we are. We talk funny so adapting to our language will clearly be a necessity,

hmm I see.. thats very interesting offer, but I think Im gonna try to apply jobs near me first
thank you so much I appreciate it!

That's admirable, WK - my husband also paid for his entire post-secondary education via scholarships, loans, and jobs he held while attending school.

But, depending on one's circumstances, temperament, chosen field, etc., that can be really tough. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect relatives to help with educational costs if they are in a position to do so.

I for one would have probably flunked out if I'd had to hold a job on top of my studies (lucky for me, my grandmother paid my tuition).

Fair point. I guess I was lucky in a country that had affordable higher education schemes. I was bristling a little at the expectation as others have pointed out.

My parents would have helped if they could, as will I in 2 years. (But I have 8 younger siblings, so that was not an option for me.

The nice part about having a passion for cooking is you can practice a lot for not a lot of cost other than your time. Flour, eggs, and sugar are not very expensive. Unfortunately, Indonesia does not have a great library culture, but there is some good knowledge online.
Mixing by hand can be a pain, but doable if you really want to practice.

You may be able to practice in a bakery, commercial kitchen, or cooking school when it is not being used. Getting a job anywhere can be as much about who you know as what you know. Making deals, reaching out, or socializing with people in the in the industry can help you make contacts to get your foot in the door or learn something. You may want to walk around at a local school or find a facebook group for a school you want to learn from. They probably have many students selling whatever learning material they had to read after classes finish. This way you will know what you have to learn and how you can impress anyone in admissions to get in or maybe even a scholarship.

What pastries do you have a passion for or want to learn? Any particular style?

The nice part about having a passion for cooking is you can practice a lot for not a lot of cost other than your time. Flour, eggs, and sugar are not very expensive. Unfortunately, Indonesia does not have a great library culture, but there is some good knowledge online.
Mixing by hand can be a pain, but doable if you really want to practice.

You may be able to practice in a bakery, commercial kitchen, or cooking school when it is not being used. Getting a job anywhere can be as much about who you know as what you know. Making deals, reaching out, or socializing with people in the in the industry can help you make contacts to get your foot in the door or learn something. You may want to walk around at a local school or find a facebook group for a school you want to learn from. They probably have many students selling whatever learning material they had to read after classes finish. This way you will know what you have to learn and how you can impress anyone in admissions to get in or maybe even a scholarship.

What pastries do you have a passion for or want to learn? Any particular style?

yeah actually Im a self taught baker, I read things over pinterest, watch youtube videos.. trial and error, my mom mad at me when I failed making something but its just part of the process of finding the good recipe, but she cant see that..

I never know its possible to practice in a bakery or commercial kitchen or cooking school... whoa I think Im just lack of knowledge.. I dont have any networking like knowing any chef or someone who happen to have a bakery or such..
yeah I guess its very important to make connection with people in this case, and its even harder when Im socially very awkward -_-"

But I dont expect much like a scholarship hehe, I think its like a miracle in culinary industry

Im curious about opera cake, and flaky pastry like cronut or croissant, I never bake them before due to I live in a dorm house ( kos kosan ) the kitchen isnt really a good one...
for now I can bake tiramisu, choux, doughnut, brownie, cakes, cookies

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiatestaging
Back