Well ruffle my hair and call me Elvis! Hemp education?

BliGundul

This was sent to me by a friend...very interesting indeed.

Too hot to handle?

I wasn't trying to lead anyone down the Garden Path,
I just found it quite surprising, and newsworthy.
Not meant to suggest that Expat Indo has a horse in the race, nor a torch to bear.

Especially in light of other recent legal developments. :unsure:

Last edited:
This was sent to me by a friend...very interesting indeed.

Too hot to handle?

I wasn't trying to lead anyone down the Garden Path,
I just found it quite surprising, and newsworthy.
Not meant to suggest that Expat Indo has a horse in the race, nor a torch to bear.

Especially in light of other recent legal developments. :unsure:

Indonesia is already in a crisis situation with its marriage of ahem state and tobacco farm. Smoking marijuana seems like a lateral move at worst.

If you are genuinely interested in it I can send you the number of my Austrian friend (Europe lol) who lives in Bangkok and has been heavily involved with this with the Thai Government at the highest levels. He is also well connected here with family etc of previous Presidents

He has a lot of investments in hemp farming there as well I believe.
He is quite open about it on his FB page too about what they are doing with the Government there

Indonesia is already in a crisis situation with its marriage of ahem state and tobacco farm. Smoking marijuana seems like a lateral move at worst.
Not exactly :sleep: holding my breath, it just struck me as rather counter-intuitive, here. Unlike in Thailand.
Is Medical :oops: Tobacco a thing these days? Talk about :unsure: Over the Counter-intuitive!

If you are genuinely interested in it I can send you the number of my Austrian friend (Europe lol) who lives in Bangkok and has been heavily involved with this with the Thai Government at the highest levels. He is also well connected here with family etc of previous Presidents

He has a lot of investments in hemp farming there as well I believe.
He is quite open about it on his FB page too about what they are doing with the Government there
In summation, he has friends in HIGH places? :unsure:

The recent development is showing that Indonesia seems to be moving backward. Let alone it is Cannabis, where does not have much impact on Indonesian economy.
"In July, a 25 year old Brazilian student was arrested for smuggling 9.1 grams of cannabis from Thailand into Bali in a package labelled “Super Mao” (“super high.”) He said he “didn’t know” the plant was still illegal in Indonesia. He will likely face a hefty fine and a 15 year prison sentence."

Last edited:
Understood, and very widely reported...whence my amazement, seeing :unsure: that link.
First visit to Bali was in '77, have lived here since '95, the offense is no different, than has happened many times before, resulting in very severe prison sentences and fines.

Well, Wikipedia says that cannabis is not universally agreed to be haram (as opposed to sex outside of marriage or cohabitation with someone you aren't related to ("Are you telling me she wears her hijab while she sleeps on the couch? Then you are definitely sinning!“)), so that might be a factor.

My personal life wouldn't be likely to benefit from legalization, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think it is any more of a distant possibility than the recent criminalization of fornication was supposed to be. My standard for rating likelihood is to ask myself, "Is anyone rich and powerful likely to make money off of it?"

Whilst i support it in theory, I have seen Thailand and the low end weed tourism. It is literally everywhere there, including seeing taxi drivers smoking all day waiting for fares. I dont think Indonesia needs that.

Indonesia has the vape epidemic that's already bad enough

Well, Wikipedia says that cannabis is not universally agreed to be haram (as opposed to sex outside of marriage or cohabitation with someone you aren't related to ("Are you telling me she wears her hijab while she sleeps on the couch? Then you are definitely sinning!“)), so that might be a factor.

My personal life wouldn't be likely to benefit from legalization, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think it is any more of a distant possibility than the recent criminalization of fornication was supposed to be. My standard for rating likelihood is to ask myself, "Is anyone rich and powerful likely to make money off of it?"

There's not really any solid evidence for ganja being haram like there is for alcohol. I would wager most jurists would consider it makruh, disliked. Maybe you can do it, but it isn't recommended. That's also the reason why it is grown in Aceh, and why the seeds are sometimes used in traditional dishes. A decade ago I argued for Aceh to use its semi-autonomous status to legalize growing and export of it as a cash crop aligned with traditional Acehnese/Gayonese values.

It's too late now.

Ganja / Cimeng is widely available in Indonesia, and the law is mostly applied to ignorant tourists or Indonesians who can’t “make peace” with the police. I don’t see any major problem with legalization.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819