Indonesia Second Home Programme - All Retirement Stay Permits Abolished and Existing Holders Scheduled for Expulsion in Case of Non-Compliance

That's not what I'm seeing online. Seems a lot of higher end digital nomads think this is a good deal (they haven't read it of course).

So just to be clear because I also haven't read it...does it allow remote work? Is there any taxes?

No work

That's not what I'm seeing online. Seems a lot of higher end digital nomads think this is a good deal (they haven't read it of course).

So just to be clear because I also haven't read it...does it allow remote work? Is there any taxes?
They mention Influencers as well as refirees. Does not an Influencer do their work primarily in social medias? So, I would think depending on which classification you fall under, one xould work and of course be taxed for it. It's the work from home era and Indonesia seems to think according to some travel ads that there is no better place than working from home in Indonesia, Bali primarily.

All the 3 main players in this would have to agree on how such as system works in practice for digital nomads:
  • Immigration (for residence)
  • Manpower (for permission to work)
  • Tax office (for paying taxes)

Will they agree? No.

Indonesian media: Second Home Program opens doors to mass immigration from China. Indonesia will end up like Palestine. The Great Replacement is coming.

Hardly call uploading deep fake life to Facbook. work... Or running spam and ad bots, bloody kids these days dont know the meaning of work ...

Hey!! I resemble that remark

Indonesian media: Second Home Program opens doors to mass immigration from China. Indonesia will end up like Palestine. The Great Replacement is coming.

yessss, they are sooo scared from the Chinese folks.... still, even they are not allowed to work, maybe the rich ones take all the women ???

yessss, they are sooo scared from the Chinese folks.... still, even they are not allowed to work, maybe the rich ones take all the women ???
One thing to look at. It isn't so much that Indonesians are scared of chinese people, it is that they are scared of communism. The ones they most associate with communism are the chinese. While the givernment has no problem getting in bed with the communist government of china, the people here were taught to fear communist influance.

More "down to earth" reasons :

Could this program been rolled out in a rush just in time for those who wish to escape winter in Europe? You know, gas and electricity crisis causing extremely high cost of living. And Ukrainians fleeing the war too.

Nobody mentions the existing foreign retirees anymore, looks like they will have to really pack and go home.
Wow that article has so many errors:

"The policy allows foreigners to buy both land and apartments and gives them permanent ownership and the right to resell." [no it doesn't]
"The visa is available to anyone who can show proof of funds in their bank account of USD 130,000." [not "their" bank account but a state bank]
"an opportunity for those who have forfeited their Indonesian citizenship in favor of stronger international passports due to work, family, or relationships and those who were born into the Indonesian diaspora" [there is already an ex-WNI path for these people]
"The visa targets high earners, retirees, and highly skilled digital nomads to invest in building a life in Indonesia." Building a life then after 10 years get kicked out?

"an opportunity for those who have forfeited their Indonesian citizenship in favor of stronger international passports due to work, family, or relationships and those who were born into the Indonesian diaspora" [there is already an ex-WNI path for these people]
The suspicious thing is that the news always talks about the diaspora (at least this one doctor in the US).

I am afraid that they will do away with the current ex-WNI pathway (Visa Index 318). Why would they run 2 paths for the diaspora...one for the rich and one for average Jo and Jane? Probably not...

they are scared of communism.
Yes, the communists, I forgot about them.

Once I had a discussion with some local people at Lake Toba in Sumatra. I told them that in Europe you are free as far as religion is concerned. You can be Christian, Muslim, Hindu, whatever you want. You can even be an atheist.......

They made big eyes then... Atheist ?? COMMUNISTS !!!!

I then finished my coffee and left, they didn't understand the concept of freedom.

In summary, it can be seen that the new regulation has once again been created in the Indonesian way. Not thought through, details not clarified, just again only half things done.

That leaves then super leeway for the imigrations officials in the interpretation of the rules. everyone as he wants, the smaller and more remote the place the worse. We will see, at the latest in January, when we want to apply for our ex-WNI visa, that will be fun....

Wow that article has so many errors:

"The policy allows foreigners to buy both land and apartments and gives them permanent ownership and the right to resell." [no it doesn't]
"The visa is available to anyone who can show proof of funds in their bank account of USD 130,000." [not "their" bank account but a state bank]
"The visa targets high earners, retirees, and highly skilled digital nomads to invest in building a life in Indonesia." Building a life then after 10 years get kicked out?
What is worrying here is that, that press statement come from minister who supposed to know the law more than anyone else.
It is probably the same when a ministerial decrees was issued. He just signed without reading it carefully, or understanding the consequences.

Last edited:
What is worrying here is that, that press statement come from minister who supposed to know the law more than anyone else.
It is probably the same when a law was issued. He just signed without reading it or understading it carefully.
Read my post above you, there you have the explanation

super leeway for the imigrations officials in the interpretation of the rules. everyone as he wants, the smaller and more remote the place the worse.
And some "agents" in Bali will of course next, be offering a rubber stamp, pay per Visa for a hefty fee...

Actually, it looks like the retirement visa has been canceled with the Omnibus Law-it went unnoticed:

Ketentuan Pasal 39 diubah sehingga berbunyi sebagaiberikut:
Pasal 39
(1) Visa tinggal terbatas diberikan kepada Orang Asing:
a. sebagai rohaniawan, tenaga ahli, pekerja,
peneliti, pelajar, investor, rumah kedua, dan
keluarganya, serta Orang Asing yang kawin
secara sah dengan warga negara Indonesia,

yang akan melakukan perjalanan ke Wilayah
Indonesia untuk bertempat tinggal dalam
jangka waktu yang terbatas; atau
b.dalam rangka bergabung untuk bekerja di atas
kapal, alat apung, atau instalasi yang
beroperasi di wilayah perairan nusantara, laut
teritorial, landas kontinen, dan/ atau Zona
Ekonomi Eksklusif Indonesia.
(21 Ketentuan lebih lanjut mengenai Visa tinggal
terbatas sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) diatur
dalam Peraturan Pemerintah.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819