in search of cooler climes

hi, i am asking for advice for a location to live that is not in the tourist areas, that is not too far from reasonable shops/markets, & not near volcanic activity, where the temps are not sea level hot/humid, so im looking for an area at altitude i guess.
myself & wife have traveled through much of South East Asia but not Indonesia, we are of retirement age in Australia & thinking of living away from there.
we are open to anywhere in the region(Indo) though really prefer to be away from any tourist scene, yet not to be isolated in the deepest & most remote jungles either.
any info offered will be appreciated

Bandung, Java.
thank you, just googled a pic of that place, looks like Shangri-La! beautiful!
we will visit the places recommended by members instead of us just traveling through & relying on pot luck, we plan to visit Indo mid 2023

Bandung is a city that has its attractions but it is now also a city with big traffic problems. It also gets a lot of rain.
Bandung has just about everything one could need, good shops, good food, temperate climate, yes it gets a lot of rain but the rain doesn't often set in for a full day.
Traffic is an issue in certain areas usually at the weekends.
I do not live down in the city itself but up the side of one of the mountains.
Where I live is about 15 to 20 minutes from the immigration office, about 30 minutes from a decent supermarket/mall/cine-complex. I am an hour or so away from the toll gates and for the amount of inter-city travelling I do, that is the biggest downside to my location.
I don't have a/c in my home, I find that 99.9% of the time I don't need it, I do sometimes use a basic fan though if it is a particularly hot day.

Last edited:
Bandung can be nice, if you aren’t in the main city. We live at a slightly higher elevation. Most of the time if it rains hard it’s for 5-10 minutes. Today has been different, and it’s rained for a couple of hours, with a medium sprinkling.

I use a pedestal fan during the day, usually. For a 200 square meter house we spend $35-45 a month of electricity, with 6 people usually living there.

Traffic is pretty bad on the weekend. We drove near the train station from our house yesterday, and it took over 30 minutes.

Bandung has just about everything one could need, good shops, good food, temperate climate, yes it gets a lot of rain but the rain doesn't often set in for a full day.
Traffic is an issue in certain areas usually at the weekends.
I do not live down in the city itself but up the side of one of the mountains.
Where I live is about 15 to 20 minutes from the immigration office, about 30 minutes from a decent supermarket/mall/cine-complex. I am an hour or so away from the toll gates and for the amount of inter-city travelling I do, that is the biggest downside to my location.
I don't have a/c in my home, I find that 99.9% of the time I don't need it, I do sometimes use a basic fan though if it is a particularly hot day.
Bandung sounds great, what would the approx population of the city be do you think? google search yields nothing

Bandung can be nice, if you aren’t in the main city. We live at a slightly higher elevation. Most of the time if it rains hard it’s for 5-10 minutes. Today has been different, and it’s rained for a couple of hours, with a medium sprinkling.

I use a pedestal fan during the day, usually. For a 200 square meter house we spend $35-45 a month of electricity, with 6 people usually living there.

Traffic is pretty bad on the weekend. We drove near the train station from our house yesterday, and it took over 30 minutes.
wow that power bill is almost zero! does it actually rain there every day? if not approx how many days per yr?

Bandung sounds great, what would the approx population of the city be do you think? google search yields nothing
I think the population of city and its outer regions is around 10 million.
Here is a link to a thread I made about Bandung back in 2016, some things need updating such as Uber no longer operates, but overall most thing are much the same.

I think the population of city and its outer regions is around 10 million.
Here is a link to a thread I made about Bandung back in 2016, some things need updating such as Uber no longer operates, but overall most thing are much the same.
awesome thank you very much!

Google says,
  • The current metro area population of Bandung in 2022 is 2,638,000, a 1.19% increase from 2021.
And the Bromo area is 800,000 people .

Last edited by a moderator:
Google says,
  • The current metro area population of Bandung in 2022 is 2,638,000, a 1.19% increase from 2021.
thanks Harry, i had no idea where to start looking for a place yet the members here have been very helpful & will have no doubt saved me money & time in this quest

Google says,
The Bandung Metropolitan Area has a population of about 9 million, according to Wikipedia. I think you and BA are working on different scales.
I'd also recommend the outskirts of Bandung. Not the city. I am also bored with the traffic problems and rising (over the course of the last 13 years) temperatures. Still a nice place to live.

Sukabumi is a growing place you might be interested in. They have a cinema and a shopping mall (not an impressive one).

We do have a volcano nearby... not sure how active it is meant to be.

The Bandung Metropolitan Area has a population of about 9 million, according to Wikipedia. I think you and BA are working on different scales.
I'd also recommend the outskirts of Bandung. Not the city. I am also bored with the traffic problems and rising (over the course of the last 13 years) temperatures. Still a nice place to live.

Sukabumi is a growing place you might be interested in. They have a cinema and a shopping mall (not an impressive one).

We do have a volcano nearby... not sure how active it is meant to be.
thank you, i will look into that area, do you live near that place? i am happy to live near a big city...just not in it

Some towns in Flores such as Bajawa and Ruteng may meet your criteria. But they're not so convenient to Jakarta or Denpasar.

Some towns in Flores such as Bajawa and Ruteng may meet your criteria. But they're not so convenient to Jakarta or Denpasar.
cheers Bob, i will look into those places too thank you, im not worried about Denpasar & would probably only need to go to Jakarta on the rare occasion

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsabouttimebc
Back