Bringing your Mobile Phone to Indonesia and using local SIMcard

Thanks to both.
When you said done on IMEI, is it US$500 per IMEI ? So for Mobile phone with dual Simcard, you could have a phone valued up to US$1000 per phone or just $500?

What about if you have a second phone with value around $500 (with receipt) with another Dual Simcard. Could you register the IMEI for free again ?

TIA

One phone has one IMEI
Nothing to do with Simcard
It's for the phone

One phone has one IMEI
Nothing to do with Simcard
It's for the phone

A Mobile Phone with 2 Simcard slots will have two different IMEIs (see examples)

62446498c7b4162b8b94c7df_Quick-IMEI-Guide-Your-First-Step-Towards-Understanding-Mobile-Security.jpeg

image-1.jpg

Last edited:
My phone has dual SIM cards/ dual IMEI. Both IMEI are registered so I can use my Telkomsel simcard at both slots.
Cheap phone, less than USD 500, so no need to pay anything.

What I meant was it's nothing to do with the card itself
Probably if one is registered then the other would be automatically as it's the same handset ?

Thanks to both.
When you said done on IMEI, is it US$500 per IMEI ? So for Mobile phone with dual Simcard, you could have a phone valued up to US$1000 per phone or just $500?

What about if you have a second phone with value around $500 (with receipt) with another Dual Simcard. Could you register the IMEI for free again ?

TIA

$500 per device. Each device can be registered with two IMEI. Just go to the registration link in my last post, you can see the place for the 2nd IMEI.

$500 per device. Each device can be registered with two IMEI. Just go to the registration link in my last post, you can see the place for the 2nd IMEI.
Thanks it is clear now that you could registered both IMEIs simultaneously with one form.
But what about if you have two Mobile Phones (with two simcards slots) with value of less than US$500 each.

Could you have have both registered by filling two forms
Is there any limit on how many phones you could register ??

At Denpasar airport, Angkasa Pura have teamed up with Telkomsel to sell simcards, just after customs. The sims have data but no pulsar. I bought one sim and goy them to register all four IMEI for my 2 phones.

Isn't that unlikely seeing as the card I bought had no pulsar and the tourist card has both national and international calls included. I couldn't make a call until I purchased pulsar.

I Bought an XL Axiata Card right after clearing the custom which costed me Rupiah 2,50,000 for 30 Days Validity, 8GB Data, Unlimited Data for Whatsapp & Social Apps and 5 mins call to any network. They registered my both IMEI number inorder to use the sim and was activated in 2 mins.

They didn't asked me my phone cost tho it was under $200 but also one of the fellow passenger which had an Apple 12 got the sim at same price.

My Indonesian sim is still working even i have switched it to the different phone without registering IMEI of it

• What information do you need to supply when register the IMEI. do you need to show your passport ?? ?? IMEI, definitely. What about other things such as full address, country of residence, nationalities, Tax ID, religion, etc
  • I understand US$500 is based on their valuation. What about if you get the phone on a discounted price, could you argue with them showing the copy of receipt when you bought it online, or showing the website
  • What about you carry 2-3 "used" mobile devices with just below US$500 of each ?
Just the IMEI number, which is accessed with "bintang. pagar, 0,6, pagar" (star, hash, 0,6, hash). And proof of your arrival date - boarding pass or copy of your ticket. You then get given a form with a billing code that you can use yp pay from your bank or at any Indomaret or AlphaMart.

Their valuation is based on the used price. They are quite reasonable. My OPPO A73 cost £230. Their value was RP1,200,000. If you register your IMEI on the day of arrival you only pay tax on the value over $500. After the first day you pay tax on the full value of the phone.

Another thing to note. Registration at the airport by Telkomsel or XL Axiata is really only for tourists as the registration is only for 3 months but nobody tells you this. There are no Bea Cukai staff on hand to help. Having originally registered back in July I assumed all was fine but coming back on 19th November, that evening my phone stopped working. A main telkomsel office explained that my 3 months registration had passed and I would have to go to the Bea Cukai office, a fair trip, at Jl Tukad Badung in Denpasar. Fairly simple process once there. They said that the reason behind the scheme was to halt illegal imports. It may also be a money making scheme that targets foreigners as there is no Bea Cukai assistance at the airport making it highly likely that you will have to pay tax on the full value on your phone.

I just got information from Colleagues that those arriving in Indonesia since April 2020, will need to have their IMEI of their phones registered to be able to use the local simcard.
Is it true ??

What about if you are using three (3) I know three have "free at home" where you oculd use three SImcard bought overseas to be used in Indonesia, free roaming. Also AFAIK three also has network in Indonesia so thre should not a problem, imo. Has anone tried this ??
thanks
If you stay 90 days you can register by provider.. I can help you to register..you just by local sim. Or i help you to register your imei by provider. Pm me..

I would never trust my IMEI to any third party on the internet
You don't know what they could do with such information

If you stay 90 days you can register by provider.. I can help you to register..you just by local sim. Or i help you to register your imei by provider. Pm me..

What on earth does register by provider mean? It has to be registered with bea cukai. You can register on arrival with any of the telcom compnies selling sim cards at the airport. If you don't register when you arrive you have to go to the bea cukai office in Denpasar where you will be taxed on the full price of your phone.

What on earth does register by provider mean?

It means (s)he knows someone with access to the database and who -with a small contribution- can be convinced to have it altered.

BTW, all this shows very well how risky it currently is to buy a secondhand phone in Indonesia. If you look on Tokopedia, Shopee, etc. you see a lot of phones for sale, many are semi new and obviously imported. (The model number in the iPhone settings for instance, shows for which market it was produced, ZA means Singapore, ZP stands for Hong Kong. So always check that.)

That’s obviously also a major reason they give you only one month of warranty and don‘t be surprised it will stop working shortly after that. They can ’fix’ it but it takes a long time and often addition funding.

BTW, all this shows very well how risky it currently is to buy a secondhand phone in Indonesia. If you look on Tokopedia, Shopee, etc. you see a lot of phones for sale, many are semi new and obviously imported. (The model number in the iPhone settings for instance, shows for which market it was produced, ZA means Singapore, ZP stands for Hong Kong. So always check that.)

That’s obviously also a major reason they give you only one month of warranty and don‘t be surprised it will stop working shortly after that. They can ’fix’ it but it takes a long time and often addition funding.
I have seen a lot of peoples phones that were not "official" stop working over the past few months. It didn't seem to happen all at once and different providers seem to be moving a different speeds. Some people were able to change providers and get another month or two. Not worth even buying a new phone if you don't know for sure that taxes were paid. You will pay more for sure but you won't end up with a brick in a month or two.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Les 819
Back