Tax Reporting for Overseas Property & Income

You sure about that (bolded) part? Do you have a source?

Based on the Wiki entry below, this may no longer be true for some situations. As always consult your own professional regarding taxation issues.

The first U.S. income tax to include U.S. citizens living overseas dates to 1862, but the first law to authorize taxation of former citizens was passed over a century later, in 1966. The 1966 law created Internal Revenue Code Section 877, which allowed the U.S.-source income of former citizens to be taxed for up to 10 years following the date of their loss of citizenship. Section 877 was first amended in 1996, at a time when the issue of renunciation of U.S. citizenship for tax purposes was receiving a great deal of public attention; the same attention resulted in the passage of the Reed Amendment, which attempted to prevent former U.S. citizens who renounced citizenship to avoid taxation from obtaining visas, but which was never enforced.[11][12] The American Jobs Creation act of 2004 amended Section 877 again.[13] Under the new law, any individual who had a net worth of $2 million or an average income tax liability of $124,000 for the five previous years (adjusted annually for inflation)[14] who renounces his or her citizenship is automatically assumed to have done so for tax avoidance reasons and is subject to additional taxes. Furthermore, with certain exceptions covered expatriates who spend at least 31 days in the United States in any year during the 10-year period following expatriation were subject to US taxation as if they were U.S. citizens or resident aliens.[15]

I have worked in Indonesia for many years for international donor organizations and have not been liable to Indonesian tax. But since 2018 I worked for an Indonesian company. I was not aware of the requirement to report foreign assets. The tax authorities discovered that I had investments in Singapore and invited me to take part in the latest tax amnesty - but that would mean losing 18% of my assets
After taking advice, I am making a revision of my tax reports since 2018 to include the assets in Singapore. Even with late reporting penalties, it should cost me only about a third of what the amnesty would cost. Hopefully it goes OK!
However, the high tax rates and low tax free allowances in Indonesia mean that I will pay much more tax than if I was resident in my home country. So I am planning to cancel my KITAS and my NPWP and spend more time outside Indonesia. It is a shame since I have been here for over 30 years!
Hopefully the audit to cancel my NPWP will not throw up any problems!

I have worked in Indonesia for many years for international donor organizations and have not been liable to Indonesian tax. But since 2018 I worked for an Indonesian company. I was not aware of the requirement to report foreign assets. The tax authorities discovered that I had investments in Singapore and invited me to take part in the latest tax amnesty - but that would mean losing 18% of my assets
After taking advice, I am making a revision of my tax reports since 2018 to include the assets in Singapore. Even with late reporting penalties, it should cost me only about a third of what the amnesty would cost. Hopefully it goes OK!
However, the high tax rates and low tax free allowances in Indonesia mean that I will pay much more tax than if I was resident in my home country. So I am planning to cancel my KITAS and my NPWP and spend more time outside Indonesia. It is a shame since I have been here for over 30 years!
Hopefully the audit to cancel my NPWP will not throw up any problems!

Several colleagues of mine come and go throughout many years, they just got their EPO to leave Indonesia, none of them need to have their NPWP cancelled, the office just stopped filing their tax reports after they left.

I was working from 2018-2020, then changed to a retirement visa for 2021 and 2022. If I leave and cancel my KITAS, I still want to come back and visit for extended periods but not more than 183 days per year. What would be the consequence if I failed to cancel my NPWP?

I was working from 2018-2020, then changed to a retirement visa for 2021 and 2022. If I leave and cancel my KITAS, I still want to come back and visit for extended periods but not more than 183 days per year. What would be the consequence if I failed to cancel my NPWP?

I don't know the consequence but logically you are not tax resident in Indonesia anymore if you are coming back as tourist. I will not worry too much about it, and will not be surprised if your NPWP cannot be cancelled. It will just become "inactive" or "dormant", I guess.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently the NPWP can be 'de-activated' (dinonaktifkan) rather than canceled

To cancel NPWP you would need to have EPO submitted to the tax office. If not, it will be dormant.

Actually, in most double taxation treaties, Indonesia accepts the foreign paid tax only as a credit for the Indonesian tax( that is up to 35% depending on the tax bracket of the taxpayer). Tax on pensions in DTT with Indonesia are treated slightly differently depending on the countries concerned (ie. government pensions are not taxed, private pensions are, minus the tax credit if some tax is already paid and so on).
Yes, true. I checked this, asking advice from (well known) tax consultancy firm in Holland. The specific Tax Treaty will have the answers: the country who cannot tax, will either give tax exemption, or accept the tax already paid as tax credit. Btw property (e.g. houses) are always taxed only by tax authorities in the country where property is registered.

All those living in South Jakarta and diligently paying their taxes might be interested to know how their money is used:

A tax official has managed to convert his small monthly official salary into declared wealth of 56M (which is suspected to still be underdeclared). Also his son who drives many sports cars attacked someone and put them in a coma, shining a light on his father's wealth. The father has now lost his job.

Yeah, the son really screwed him. But he’s not fired (yet). And even so, many billion rupiah cars like the Rubicon and LandCruisers are parked at different properties, not reported, perhaps registered on different names. Just like the bikes as the HD. And in a WhatsApp: “Don’t take the Lambo today, go by online taxi!”

A video, recorded by the 15 year old girlfriend who was the reason for this eruption of violence, goes viral. In that you see the 20 year old kicking the head of the teenager who is already down and lifeless; it is disgusting.

It's well known that the underground parking in places such as Four Seasons residences and the like are full of brand new luxury cars. I mean Rolls Royce. Lambo. Ferrari. Etc. None of them have reg no plates. Just parked and covered. And the parking place for the owners of the unoccupied apartments too. Crazy. I remember a few years back the tax police just raided one and took them all confiscated and said if you want you car come collect it and pay the tax.
I think many didn't even bother. Who me? Not my Bentley officer.

It's well known that the underground parking in places such as Four Seasons residences and the like are full of brand new luxury cars. I mean Rolls Royce. Lambo. Ferrari. Etc. None of them have reg no plates. Just parked and covered. And the parking place for the owners of the unoccupied apartments too. Crazy. I remember a few years back the tax police just raided one and took them all confiscated and said if you want you car come collect it and pay the tax.
I think many didn't even bother. Who me? Not my Bentley officer.
I can't import a bottle of lotion without paying taxes on it. How many people got paid to get a whole car in without paying taxes?

From this article:
So without knowing, the guy is the owner of a Ferrari…and that’s not all, they do that “can I borrow your KTP” to whole neighborhoods and villages.

At that time, November 2019, he went to the West Jakarta Samsat Office to take care of his Motor Vehicle Certificate (STNK) which he had sold. "At that time Samsat officers told my wife that her name was recorded as the owner of Ferari's car," said Dadang. "But, now it has been blocked because the officers finally found out, we are just victims, our ID cards are being abused," said Endang.
Endang admitted that his identity card -KTP- was once borrowed by his neighbor in exchange for Rp 400 thousand. At that time he admitted that he did not suspect anything about his neighbor.…….

Later, it turned out that the ‘for a while’ promise was just a promise. The identity card of the residents never returned. He suspects that a loan against his ID card is what made his name appear as the owner of Ferrari at the vehicle registration. Until now the ID card has not returned. "Every time I asked he said it was not finished," he said.

The mode of using people's ID cards is one way luxury car owners outsmart their car tax obligations. In Jakarta, until the end of last December, the DKI Jakarta Regional Tax and Levy Agency (BPRD), recorded that there were around 1,100 luxury cars in taxation arrears as of September 2019. If calculated the arrears value is an extraordinary amount of Rp 37 billion.

I can't import a bottle of lotion without paying taxes on it. How many people got paid to get a whole car in without paying taxes?
Well even the CEO of Garuda was caught smuggling on his own planes!

You have to file corrections going back to when you first became an Indonesian tax resident, or until June this year, participate in voluntary disclosure (tax amnesty), and pay a fine of up to 18%
18% ?? I thought disclosure during Amnesty was 5%, right?

18% ?? I thought disclosure during Amnesty was 5%, right?

This was the second round of amnesty in 2022. They also had different tiers of tax percentages depending on where the funds were and whether you were repatriating them to Indonesia.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadeeshaf
Back