DON'T PANIC.... well, maybe a little bit.

So I just got back from getting the vaccine, I believe it was sinovac and it took about 2 hours 40 minutes. Basically you register your name, phone, email, and say if you are elderly or a teacher on the link I provided a few posts up. You will get an email and WA confirmation after you select the day and time(you can arrive earlier if you want to). I received another WA and email confirmation. Went to Lotte Ave, took the lift to the 11th floor. You will need your KITAS/KITAP card/paper and KTP(NIK). We arrived around 2pmish nd our booking was at 3:30pm.

Once you are there, you need to get in a line to fill out a form and a number. It is all in Bahasa, but there was someone to help make sure we knew what box we were correctly ticking(it was all no for me and the other guy I was with). Then you get in the registration line. It was long, but it went at a steady pace. At the registration, this is where it took the longest. After they call your number and they have someone doing that, you present the form and id. For some reason, there were a number of Indonesians and non-Indonesians who had to have their information inputted manually. The lady doing this was nice, but very slow. As in t-h-i-s-i-s-h-o-w-s-h-e-s-o-u-n-d-e-d when typing everything in. After that you go to screening, they look at the paper work and take your blood pressure. Then sit in another chair and wait your turn for the shot.

This didn't take long and it was almost like a normal shot. In the past, nurses have generally just stabbed me with the needle. This nurse did it where I didn't even know she had done anything as I barely felt a thing. There is a lady taking pictures and she took a few of me. I guess they want to show bules trust the vaccine. After you get the shot, you wait 30 minutes before you get your certificate saying you had the vaccine. It was about 4:40pm at this point. Not even a hour later while eating, I had a sms confirming I can get the second shot on April 26.

Overall it is was fairly organized and went smoother than I thought it would. Majority of the people there weren't trying to cut in line or push their way through to get answers. The people there were nice and helpful.

So I just got back from getting the vaccine, I believe it was sinovac and it took about 2 hours 40 minutes. Basically you register your name, phone, email, and say if you are elderly or a teacher on the link I provided a few posts up. You will get an email and WA confirmation after you select the day and time(you can arrive earlier if you want to). I received another WA and email confirmation. Went to Lotte Ave, took the lift to the 11th floor. You will need your KITAS/KITAP card/paper and KTP(NIK). We arrived around 2pmish nd our booking was at 3:30pm.

Once you are there, you need to get in a line to fill out a form and a number. It is all in Bahasa, but there was someone to help make sure we knew what box we were correctly ticking(it was all no for me and the other guy I was with). Then you get in the registration line. It was long, but it went at a steady pace. At the registration, this is where it took the longest. After they call your number and they have someone doing that, you present the form and id. For some reason, there were a number of Indonesians and non-Indonesians who had to have their information inputted manually. The lady doing this was nice, but very slow. As in t-h-i-s-i-s-h-o-w-s-h-e-s-o-u-n-d-e-d when typing everything in. After that you go to screening, they look at the paper work and take your blood pressure. Then sit in another chair and wait your turn for the shot.

This didn't take long and it was almost like a normal shot. In the past, nurses have generally just stabbed me with the needle. This nurse did it where I didn't even know she had done anything as I barely felt a thing. There is a lady taking pictures and she took a few of me. I guess they want to show bules trust the vaccine. After you get the shot, you wait 30 minutes before you get your certificate saying you had the vaccine. It was about 4:40pm at this point. Not even a hour later while eating, I had a sms confirming I can get the second shot on April 26.

Overall it is was fairly organized and went smoother than I thought it would. Majority of the people there weren't trying to cut in line or push their way through to get answers. The people there were nice and helpful.
Thank you for the detailed description of the vaccination process. My school has registered all WNI teachers to receive the free shot, but the school itself seems to be pretty far back in the queue. They also said that they were not allowed to register KITAS / KITAP holders. Due to not receiving any info regarding a school-wide vaccination campaign, we have had a lot of people sharing links to register with events either at Gelora Bung Karno or a local Puskesmas. A fair number of teachers have registered and received shots through these programs, though there is a large degree of frustration with the seemingly scattershot approach of vaccination events popping up and being announced through WhatsApp groups - and quotas filling up rapidly.

All that said, I managed to get my first Sinovac shot on 15 March. How this came to pass is a very long story, but suffice it to say that I registered through the same Puskesmas website that several of my colleagues did. I brought each of my required documents, picked up a number, waited my turn, and went through the process. Out of the couple hundred people there, I was the only westerner. This Puskesmas never explicitly said, "No foreigners", though the requirement to have a NIK filtered out a lot of WNA people. Nobody asked about my immigration status, and I did not mention it.

The vaccination card instructed me to return on 29 March, which I did yesterday. The second time, I had a lower number (25 instead of 46), though I had to wait for the Puskesmas to open. It is officially open from 8 - 3, so I arrived around 7:35. They started calling the numbers at 9, but it was a quick process thereafter. My second shot was injected around 9:35 AM.

The first shot was painless, except for slight muscle soreness in my left arm. So far, I have had no real symptoms in the 24+ hours since the second shot except for a little bit of coughing this morning.

Our Jr. High was on the list and one of the teachers was not listed, but he was encouraged to go. He received the vaccine. The high school wasn't on the list, but one of the teachers what was with me is high school only. All three of use didn't have an issue and we were only asked to provide the KTP, but they also provided their KITAS. Like you, no one asked us a thing about immigration or who our sponsor was. There were a few other westerners yesterday.

Some of the teachers from the high school are going to another place( Ekayana Duri Kepa) near the school, but you need a PGRI card from the school along with the KTP. Apparently they offer drive through vaccines.

One friend from rugby has said the area he lives in Tangerang are only doing local teachers.

So some updates since yesterday. I have not had any side effects apart from a sore arm, but it is probably because I went to the gym and went heavy on the weights. Apart from that, I have felt fine the entire time.

Two teachers from the high school went today, but only one was allowed to get the vaccine. The other one was denied at the registration.

Between the three of us who went yesterday, one didn't get a sms about the second vaccine, one did, but it was canceled, and I received the sms and so far it hasn't been canceled. My guess is because my KTP(NIK) was very similar to a regular KTP card and they had the paper KTP green card that you get with a KITAS.

I heard vaccination using Astra Zeneca is suspended in Manado? Perhaps Atlantis can tell us more about it.

Between the three of us who went yesterday, one didn't get a sms about the second vaccine, one did, but it was canceled, and I received the sms and so far it hasn't been canceled. My guess is because my KTP(NIK) was very similar to a regular KTP card and they had the paper KTP green card that you get with a KITAS.
I received an SMS almost immediately. My wife never received one. So, we took a picture of her document.

KITAS does not have a card KTP. It is a SKTT and it is paper.

I received an SMS almost immediately. My wife never received one. So, we took a picture of her document.

KITAS does not have a card KTP. It is a SKTT and it is paper.
Older (long expired) versions of KITAS cards did have a NIK on them. They also look nearly identical to KTP except for having an additional line that includes the "Nomor Kitas".

48 hours after my second shot, and I am feeling great! No side effects other than the aforementioned brief coughing spell yesterday (which was most likely just mild allergies unrelated to the shot).

Older (long expired) versions of KITAS cards did have a NIK on them. They also look nearly identical to KTP except for having an additional line that includes the "Nomor Kitas".
Yes, long expired. What was that, 8 to 9 years ago? Poster called it a KTP which it was not. Could confuse someone. I agree, SKTT did at one time have a NIK and quite possibly still do. I haven't looked at one since my KITAP. I do know that my KTP used a different number than what was on my SKTT

Does anyone know when the next phase of vaccinations starts (when they have finished doing public officials, teachers and lansia)?
I have not heard anything directly answering your question, but the Minister of Education has publicly stated that all teachers will be vaccinated before 1 July so that all schools throughout Indonesia can have in-person instruction starting in July. Reading between the lines, that should mean that the eligible group should expand by 1 July at the latest.

My husband spoke to the Pk Rt earlier, he said if we want a vaccine we must go to the kelurahan.
I am in no rush for a vaccine at this point & feel there are others that need them more than I do if the vaccines are a limited supply, I don't go out much or mix with people either, so it isn't urgent.
I do have to go to the kelurahan for another matter though so I will ask about it when there.

Good news on the Sinovac effectiveness. Data from Chile in a real-life pandemic setting is now available. It shows that it is 67% effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19, 85% effective at preventing hospitalization, 89% at preventing ICU admission and 80% effective at preventing death. The effectiveness data is for fully vaccinated people, in this case, defined as 2 weeks after receiving the second dose.

Indonesia is almost exclusively using this vaccine, locally packaged by Biofarma.

1618627655632.png

Good news on the Sinovac effectiveness. Data from Chile in a real-life pandemic setting is now available. It shows that it is 67% effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19, 85% effective at preventing hospitalization, 89% at preventing ICU admission and 80% effective at preventing death. The effectiveness data is for fully vaccinated people, in this case, defined as 2 weeks after receiving the second dose.

Indonesia is almost exclusively using this vaccine, locally packaged by Biofarma.

View attachment 1790
It is an interesting statistical quirk that the Sinovac shots are more effective at preventing ICU admission than at preventing death.

I guess those results are OK, but not on the Pfizer level. 67% effectiveness means that out of 100 infections that happen in a population, of which half has been vaccinated and half hasn't, 75 infections will be in the non-vaccinated group and 25 will be in the vaccinated group.
[75-25]/75 = 67%.
For 100 deaths, the figures would be about 83 deaths will be in the non-vaccinated group and 17 will be in the vaccinated group [83-17]/83 = 80%.

I guess the message is that while this vaccine gives you a big advantage it is still a long way from guaranteeing you can't get it or that you can't die from it. So keep wearing the masks and avoiding crowds, and ensure those in your household do so too ...

Now yet another new mutation in India. It seems probable that such mutations are going to frustrate hopes of opening up for worldwide travel for a long time. Australia is presently in the happy position of having people return to a "normal'' lifestyle but that could quickly change once overseas travel is allowed again. The economic impact of stop start lockdowns can be ruinous for many businesses, particularly dealing with food and hospitality. I suspect the confident assertions of economies quickly recovering may be wishful thinking.

Indeed. I am starting to wonder when travel in and out of Indonesia will be possible again without restrictions like vaccine requirements, quarantine or tests:
  • by 31 December 2021
  • by 31 December 2022
  • by 31 December 2025
  • by 31 December 2030
  • never

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stats
Back