Auto Insurance

Jamu

Charter Member
Cager
Yes, I can already hear the laughter. Auto insurance in Indonesia, what's that???... However, we just bought a new car (for cash) and are keen on insuring it, for two reasons really. First, to be able to get the car repaired properly by our dealer at minimum cost in the event of an accident (whether deemed to be our fault or not) and second, to have adequate third party liability insurance to minimize low IQ discussions over fault/compensation in the event we are in an accident that damages another vehicle and/or hurts another person. We have already installed a black box camera front and rear to ensure that in case of incident all is video recorded, but the issue we have is that the insurance company we are in discussion with only insures third party liability up to Rp. 100 juta. This seems like a lot, but given the kamikaze motorcyclists (many of whom in Bali don't wear helmets), in a serious accident involving hospitalization this would probably not be enough. Can anyone recommend an insurer with higher third party limits? Cheers.

I dealt with IBS Group in Jakarta in the past, the issued an AXA policy. The guy I dealt with has moved to Singapore, but I'm sure someone there could help. I did have the basic car insurance the dealer arranged, I forget the name of that company, but what IBS offered was either a home owner or renter policy and you could add an umbrella policy up to IDR5 Billion that covered personal liability. I think the rate I paid was .015% of valued insured annually and the umbrella policy was added into the policy at no additional cost for their Platinum insured plan.
I did file a small claim with them for a stolen hand phone under the rental policy and was paid out in about a month, the claims are handled in Singapore. I never did file a claim under the umbrella policy so I can't vouch for how easy or successful claims may be for that.

We use zurich they have agents in bali , their max 3rd party risk is the value of the car .
We of course use dash cam ,to minimize discussion of fault.

I have all risk insurance on my car (aka "comprehensive"). Contrary to what everybody believes claiming is easier than in Europe, where sometimes you need more administration, police reports etc.
I had crashed my bumper, the insurance agent came, made photos, and send me to their repair shop where they did a great job and changed the whole bumper with a new one. I even reported all scratches done before and they accepted without any questions.
My insurance is at Chubb, it is a US-based insurance company and they have a subsidiary in Indonesia.

Contrary to what everybody believes claiming is easier than in Europe,
This.
I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was compared to Europe each time I had to make a claim.

And don't forget, since competition is tough, you often can negotiate the premium, especiall if ou insure more than 1 vehicle. I was able to knock off 25% off the premium with a small but very reliable insurance company.

What is the cost of set up?
It varies based on the brand and whether you want front and rear cameras, or front only, but I went with a Blackvue two channel system (ie front and rear) because of the quality of the camera and the fact that it records vehicle speed, plus it connects to my mobile via a built in wifi network and I can easily download the video without fussing around with the SD card. Cost was Rp. 5.7 juta.

Another question or three, Jamu: Were did you purchase your Blackvue system; who installed it; and where is the shop? Thanks for the heads up. I am thinking about doing the same when we are in town this coming summer.

Blackvue can be purchased directly from their Indonesian dealer, see blackvue dot co dot id, or from their distributors, who are listed on the website. Installation can be done by the distributor or any place specializing in car audio. Properly installed, it's a very tidy setup - no wires visible.

I bought a two camera system at Costco, but haven’t installed it yet. Cost was $150.

Got into a small accident. Despite video proof the other driver was 100% in the wrong AND the damage to the rear of my car, the other party didn't admit they were at fault and pay "ganti rugi". Cops were called and when faced with both car and driver's license taken to the police station for "investigation" or sucking it up and walking away, I chose to leave. Damage was minor so I claimed it with the insurance.

Still, it was an eye opener that the dash cam may not always save my ass. But it's better to have one than not.

Got into a small accident. Despite video proof the other driver was 100% in the wrong AND the damage to the rear of my car, the other party didn't admit they were at fault and pay "ganti rugi". Cops were called and when faced with both car and driver's license taken to the police station for "investigation" or sucking it up and walking away, I chose to leave. Damage was minor so I claimed it with the insurance.

Still, it was an eye opener that the dash cam may not always save my ass. But it's better to have one than not.

That's too bad. It may not have been effective in getting money from someone for their fault, but it should still be effective in making sure undue blame doesn't get ascribed to you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Follow Us

Latest Expat Indo Articles

Latest Tweets by Expat Indo

Latest Activity

Online Now

No members online now.

Newest Members

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toadzer